Tax & Business InvestigationSwift and thorough advice on all aspects of investigation and prosecution
Investigating authorities have extensive powers to search and scrutinise all aspects of a business, leading to significant disruption to its trading ability and reputation. At gunnercooke we have in depth experience in advising corporates and individuals faced with criminal investigations. Our response to such a situation is swift and thorough. We regularly advise on all aspects of an investigation and prosecution which could include dawn raids, search and seizure, restraint and freezing orders, arrest, interviews with HMRC, SFO and other prosecuting authorities, plea and trial. We also have expertise in the technical field of POCA Confiscation, third party and enforcement proceeds, civil recovery and cash forfeiture receivership proceedings in the Crown Court and High Court. These services require experienced lawyers with an in depth knowledge due to their complex nature.
We act for clients who face range of investigations such as missing trader, VAT/excise duty fraud by HMRC, property investment, money laundering, banking, financial/tax advisory services, and accounting. We regularly act for company directors, financial/tax advisors and accountants. We also advise on contentious indirect tax matters which often result in proceedings before the Tax Tribunal.
We work alongside the very best advisors in ancillary areas of expertise, to connect you with other professionals that will complement your defence team including; forensic accountants, tax advisors, expert Queen's Counsel and senior barristers who are leaders in the field of business crime.
What we offer:
- Expert advice in a swift responsive manner, to minimise the disruption to your business.
- A bespoke service designed to give you the most accurate and result orientated advice such as; discontinuing your case, staying your case before your trial as a result of an abuse of process, plea bargaining or achieving a not guilty verdict.
- Technical experience that gives you the answers you are looking for in an often multidimensional, complex financial investigation.
- Parallel expert services/advice to strengthen defending your case such as Commercial, Corporate, Real Estate and Banking departments as well as expert Accountancy, Tax and QC/senior barrister lead advice.
Summary of Work Types:
- Search Warrant – challenging of search and seizure warrant to the High Court.
- Investigation – responding to arrest or interview with Prosecuting Agencies, preparing a defence to allegations made of fraud.
- Restraint/Confiscation matters – dealing with unlocking assets that are restrained during investigation and enabling business/personal income to unrestrained. Advising on all aspects of confiscation under POCA.
- HMRC investigation – vat, excise duty, missing trader, tax evasion/fraud advice.
- Appeals to Tax Tribunal in respect of tax assessments and tax compliance.