"Carl is a commercially focused lawyer that has shown his ability time and time again to work with my HR teams across the business on individual cases at their sites all the way through to working with Directors on complex business projects." Sarah Merwood, Head of HR, Manufacturing UK and Ireland, Nestle
What he's best at:
Carl is an employment partner, best known for his ability to understand a client’s requirement, and then to explain how it can be delivered. He has practiced for over 19 years, and has extensive experience operating in a commercial environment, having worked previously at 2 Sisters Food Group Limited and Northern Foods, as a Senior Employment lawyer. The businesses have a turnover of c.£2 billion, and an employee headcount exceeding 11,000.
Carl has extensive experience across a wide spectrum of contentious and non-contentious employment project and policy work. His varied expertise incorporates executive service and severance agreements, restructuring projects and TUPE transfers relating to M&A transactions and joint ventures; employee consultations; recruitment and redundancies; HR policies and procedures.
Who he works for:
- Large corporates with significant head-counts
- HR Directors
- Senior Executives
Recently published articles:
- Implementation of EU Works Council's Regulations in the UK
- Tesco woes continue as investors line up to sue their own business
“Carl's greatest strength is his ability to understand your requirement and then to explain how it can be delivered. Whilst he is very clear on the law and its constraints he sees these as barriers to be overcome rather than barriers to delivering the desired outcome. Overall he is a consumate professional who has delivered results time and time again.” - Gary Walsh, CEO Mezzan Holding Company
“I have worked with Carl for a couple of years. He has been during that time an integral part of the business. As you would expect, Carl has an exceptionally good understanding of the law but his experience goes much further than that. He is a commercially focused lawyer that has shown his ability time and time again to work with my HR teams across the business on individual cases at their sites all the way through to working with Directors on complex business projects. He has worked with me very successfully on senior level individual employment issues and very important, complicated, collective union matters affecting hundreds of employees providing detailed, knowledgeable and pragmatic guidance.” - Sarah Merwood, Head of HR, Manufacturing UK and Ireland, Nestle
- Corporate employment support to 9 group companies located throughout the UK and Eire which have a combined total employee headcount in excess of 18,000 and a turnover of £2bn.
- Restructuring projects and TUPE issues relating to M&A projects including those relating to Northern Foods aquisition by Boparan Holdings Ltd.
- TUPE transfer of 3,500 employees following the acquisition of Netto Stores UK Ltd by Asda Stores Ltd
- Discrete projects such as a redundancy program upon a site closure involving the loss of over 700 jobs and collective consultation with the relevant Union.
- Advice in relation to a Joint Venture project to take over a major supply contract which involved a potential TUPE transfer of over 700 employees.
- Review and preparation of HR policies/procedures as required and dealing with “routine” employment law queries from HR officers, managers, and Directors (this includes frequent performance management issues and the preparation of compromise agreements up to Senior Executive level.
- Provision of internal training/ marketing to the HR Community, including the provision of “legal update” training to HR Managers and Officers.
- Senior Employment Lawyer – 2 Sisters Food Group / Northern Foods plc
- Senior Employment Lawyer – Asda Stores Ltd
Previous Law firms:
- Partner, Head of Employment – Chartbridge Solicitors LLP
- Solicitor – Davies Arnold Cooper Solicitors
- Solicitor (Admitted 1994)
- Called to the Bar (1991)