"Chris' calm and clear advice and action during some very dark times has made all the difference.” - Peter Fox, Former Managing Director, Auto Windscreens Limited
What he’s best at:
Chris has over 20 years’ experience in restructuring, corporate recovery, insolvency and related work. He is a positive influence in a crisis and a true trusted advisor to clients.
Chris is rated in the legal directories Legal 500 and Chambers as a “great resource for complex aspects of insolvency law” and considered to be “tenacious and thorough in his approach” as well as “extremely approachable, calm and very pragmatic”.
Who he works for:
- Banks and other financial institutions dealing with customer financial distress and resolution – review, enhancement and enforcement of their security and company restructurings;
- Insolvency practitioners in the realisation of corporate assets through sales transactions and/or recovery litigation;
- Companies and their directors; professional services firms and their members (particularly solicitors and accountants) in restructurings, financial turnaround, business sales and purchases as well as litigation in distressed and insolvent scenarios;
- Trade creditors in the enforcement of retention of title claims and other security rights;
- Financial affairs of insolvent (former) high net worth individuals.
Recently published blogs:
"Chris' calm and clear advice and action during some very dark times has made all the difference” - Peter Fox, Former Managing Director, Auto Windscreens Limited
- Doorbar v Alltime Securities (1993) – Court of Appeal, Chairman’s valuation of prospective/contingent claims in an Individual Voluntary Arrangement
- TSB Bank plc v Marshall & Rodgers (1999) – first reported case on enforcement of equitable mortgage under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996
- Fennell v Halliwells LLP (2013) – exercise of Court’s discretion to allow proceedings to be issued against a firm in liquidation to determine a former member’s rights
- Adviser to the Board of substantial North West family owned contracting company during restructuring and eventual sale to competitor
- Adviser to the Board and major shareholder of household name roadside assistance and windscreen replacement company during restructuring and subsequent insolvency process
- Insolvent Deceased Estates – acted on numerous petitions and estates and lectured for R3
Previous Law Firms
- Irwin Mitchell 2002-2013, Partner in Leeds and Manchester, setting up Corporate Recovery and Insolvency department in Manchester.
- Hammonds – Associate 2000-2002
- Eversheds – Associate 1998-2000
- Adams & Remers – solicitor 1995-1998
- Isadore Goldman – solicitor 1992-1995
- University of Reading, Law, LLB Hons (2:1)
- College of Law, Guildford
- Eastbourne College