“Christian has worked with us on setting up a number of property funds and on other corporate projects and he has consistently demonstrated expertise born of experience combined with a focus on creating solutions not problems and close personal involvement throughout” - Mark Hunter, Hunter Real Estate Investment Management Limited
What he's best at:
Dual qualified as a lawyer in both Scotland and England, Christian has extensive experience in general corporate and commercial contract work for listed and private companies in the UK and abroad, financial institutions and public bodies, including significant specific experience in mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic collaborations, distribution strategies, MBOs, MBIs, capital projects and partnership structures. His “speciality” is investment funds work and cross-border transactions.
Who he works for:
- Private Equity Houses and Angel Funds
- Corporate Investors
- Private Investors
- Management Teams and business leaders
- Financial Institutions
- Property Funds
“Christian has provided us with a first class service on our transactions and complex property structures which require the co-ordination of a number of specialist teams. His ability to co-ordinate and deliver the legal services has been second to none and we have successfully completed over £100m of transactions with him” - Neil Gullan, Curo Property Funds LLP
- The £30m purchase of Reading Football Club.
- The purchase of The Rotunda Leisure Centre, Kingston-upon-Thames for the Curo Rotunda Fund and subsequent £50.7m corporate sale to UK Commercial Property Trust managed by Ignis Asset Management.
- Acted with Freshfields and their client Funds on establishing and operating Scottish Limited Partnerships in acquisition structures for various target groups in the UK.
- Led team advising the University of Edinburgh on the relocation of its Medical School as part of the new Royal Infirmary and Western General Hospital PFI projects.
- Advised principals on establishing the Hothouse Club as an angel investor club to invest in nascent food and drink companies.
- Advised Hunter Real Estate Investment Management on promotion and establishment of Guernsey-based St Wenceslas Property Fund, Active Retail Fund, and the Performance Property Trust as commercial property investment Unit Trust Funds.
- Acted for and led team advising Hardy Underwriting plc, Hiscox Select Insurance Fund plc and Lomond Underwriting plc on conversion schemes for Names at Lloyds.
- Advisory work on UCIS (Unregulated Collective Investment Schemes) promotions and related FSMA/MiFID compliance issues for Real Estate and VC Funds and their promoters.
Time to surf the crowdfunding wave, The Scotsman
Previous Law Firms:
- Trowers & Hamlins LLP
- Dundas and Wilson C.S.
- Morton Fraser LLP
- Legal Adviser, Government of the State of Bahrain
- Non-executive Director, Premium Trust plc
- Qualified in Scotland as a solicitor
- The Edinburgh Academy
- St. Catharine's College, Cambridge (MA)