"A real visionary, always looking to shake up how things are done and break new ground for his clients, delivering more than a lawyer would be expected to." – Darren Forshaw, Partner, Endless LLP
What he’s best at:
Darryl is renowned as a private equity lawyer - he’s solely done private equity transactions for over 25 years. In that time he’s helped clients to invest, buy, sell and raise money for businesses across the UK and all over the world. He’s even written the world’s leading book on the subject! He is passionate about ensuring that legal processes evolve to meet the changing requirements of funders and of the fast growing businesses that they invest in.
Who he acts for:
- Private Equity Houses
- Corporate Investors
- Private Investors
- Management Teams and business leaders
"A real visionary, always looking to shake up how things are done and break new ground for his clients, delivering more than a lawyer would be expected to.” – Darren Forshaw, Partner, Endless LLP
“Darryl is probably the most commercial lawyer that I have worked with. He immediately understands the commercial realities of a business and of any issue and then sets about achieving what his client wants in a friendly but firm way.” - Simon Inchley, CEO, Gresham Private Equity
Darryl has his own blog at: http://www.darrylcooke.co.uk
- The £100m buy-out of Autowindscreens (the leading automotive glass replacement company) by HSBC private equity from Heywood Williams Group plc and its subsequent sale to RAC.
- The buy out of Hobbs, the design led manufacturer and retailer of ladies’ clothes by Barclays Private Equity from its founders, with operations in the UK and Italy.
- The institutional buy out of Swarfega, the hand cleaner used by mechanics, for £135m by Barclays Private Equity. The group incorporated 21 companies in 16 countries.
- The £350m turnover acquisition by Klarius eu of the Quinton Hazell Automotive Group from US based Affinia with manufacturing operations in four countries.
- The £115 m buyout of a minority shareholding in Jerrold Holdings Limited, the financial services lender to the commercial and residential property market.
- The buyout of M & M Direct, the leading online and mail order retailer of discounted lifestyle and leisure fashion apparel by ECI.
- The purchase from Dutch chemical giant Azco Nobel of Crown Paints by Endless llp for £70m.
- The reverse takeover of Ultimate Finance Group by Ashley Corporate Finance.
- The institutional purchase of Gaucho Grill, the high quality restaurant chain with restaurants throughout Europe.
- The £45m buy out of Giles Insurance Brokers by Gresham Trust.
- The £100m buy out of Cabot Financial, the market leader in the debt purchase market by an institutional purchaser.
Things he’s written:
- Management Buy-Outs, by Darryl Cooke, published by Sweet and Maxwell
- Due Diligence: A practical Guide by Darryl Cooke and David Bertram, published by Sweet and Maxwell
- Private Equity: A practical Guide, by Darryl Cooke, published by Sweet and Maxwell
- Private Equity: A Transactional Analysis by Global Law and Business, Contributing author
- Regular columnist and writer for EN, on Leadership
Previous Law Firms:
- Addleshaw Goddard LLP
- DLA Piper
- Hill Dickinson
- University of Leeds (LLB)
- King’s College, London (LLM)
- Barrister (Inner Temple)