What she's best at:
Deborah is highly regarded as an experienced intellectual property and information technology lawyer. Deborah’s clients benefit from commercially pragmatic advice surrounding their intellectual property and IT assets. This includes auditing her client’s intellectual property; ensuring her clients are protecting and registering IP where necessary, advising clients on commercialisation of new ideas and inventions, confidentiality, data protection, drafting contracts, assignments and licence agreements and defending those IP/IT rights against copying.
Clients find Deborah’s technical knowledge and can-do attitude enables her to obtain the best solution for her clients.
Who she works for:
- PLCs to owner managed businesses
- University enterprise centres and University spin out companies
- Technology businesses
- Software developers
- Creative and design businesses
- Entrepreneurs and inventors
- Advising a company in the automotive industry on copyright issues involved in the development of its software products, in the lead up to sale of the business, assisting in the successful multi million pound sale of the company.
- Advising a manufacturing company on the re-negotiation of a patent and know-how licence arrangement with a supplier in Poland resulting in new developments to the technology being owned by our client.
- Advising on the registration of key trade marks and registered designs for an existing business in the food industry looking to protect its growing brand and packaging.
- Defending a client against allegations of trade mark infringement by Nestle.
Training and Seminars:
Deborah speaks regularly at events and seminars, often for new start up businesses through Business Sheffield, the University of Sheffield Bioincubator and UK Trade and Invest.
Of particular interest to some might have been her seminars on Le Tour de France, and how to avoid ambush marketing and trade mark infringement in 2014.
Other topics have included database rights and how they can be effectively gathered and sold for marketing purposes; procurement and contracting with suppliers and customers; and training on intellectual property rights.
Deborah was ranked in the 2015 edition of Chambers and Partners for her Intellectual Property expertise, which quoted a client as stating “(Deborah) is the first person I go to.”
Deborah was also listed in the Intellectual Property section of the 2015 edition of the Legal 500 for her knowledge in this field of law.
Previous Law Firms:
- Hlw Keeble Hawson
- Virtuoso Legal
- Irwin Mitchell
- Post Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, University of Bristol 2005.
- University of Bristol (Post Graduate Diploma)
- The University of Sheffield (LPC)
- Sheffield Hallam University (LLB)