What he's best at:
Fergus conducts a broad range of substantial commercial litigation with a focus on civil fraud. He has been involved in numerous high-profile and complex court and arbitration proceedings in London and overseas. He is experienced in obtaining and defending various forms of emergency interim relief, including freezing injunctions, search and seizure orders and third party disclosure orders.
Fergus is recommended for his civil fraud expertise in the 2014 edition of the Legal 500 where he is described as “incisive”. He is also recognised in the Super Lawyers directory as a “Rising Star”.
- Acting for both claimants and defendants in relation to a number of fraud cases in the High Court involving the unauthorised sale of significant real estate assets.
- Advising a well-known private equity house in relation to contractual and equitable claims arising out of the “pre-pack” acquisition of a substantial enterprise.
- Acting on behalf of the defendants in High Court proceedings concerning the beneficial ownership of shares in an offshore company engaged in the export of goods to the Soviet Union and later the Russian Federation.
- Representing a former director of Bernard Madoff’s London trading entity in relation to claims brought by the English and US liquidators seeking to recover funds on behalf of investors in Mr Madoff’s Ponzi scheme.
- Acting for a “Russian oligarch” in relation to claims against a former business associate and a firm of solicitors in High Court proceedings concerning the client’s substantial London property investments.
- Representing major collectors and dealers in relation to disputes concerning very high value classic and rare cars.
- Acting for a law firm in claims by a financial services company arising out of the collapse of a litigation funding scheme.
- Representing shareholders and directors of a film production company in proceedings for breaches of fiduciary duty and contract against several former directors.
- Representing the majority shareholders and directors in a dispute arising out of the break-up of a successful fund of hedge funds.
- Acting for a well-known financier in relation to a US$50m-plus fraud claim by a bank, including responding to a freezing order and various other adverse interim orders.
- Acting for a property services company in relation to an investigation concerning a £multi-million mortgage fraud involving a rogue employee in the client’s valuations department.
- Acting for a senior executive of a City investment bank in relation to an FCA investigation into suspected insider dealing and market abuse by the client.
Previous Law Firms:
- Partner, Fladgate LLP
- Peters and Peters