"We particularly like Jo’s style of advice that is pragmatic and ‘to the point’. She does not sit on the fence, and we always have clear direction." – Kerry Jackson, Chief Executive, St Gemma’s Hospice
What she’s best at:
Clients know Jo as a thorough and professional employment solicitor, with diverse experience across a broad range of sectors, including manufacturing, retail and construction. She has considerable expertise in working with public sector and education providers, and with charitable organisations. Having practiced for over 15 years, Jo has advised on all kinds of employment related matters, from recruitment to dismissal. She is an experienced tribunal advocate and has successfully defended numerous businesses in employment tribunals.
Jo regularly advises on people issues arising out of mergers, acquisitions and outsourcings, and on the application of TUPE. Jo is also experienced in providing strategic advice on large scale restructurings, trade union issues, restrictive covenant disputes and board level disputes and on exits strategies for senior personnel.
Who she works for:
- Large corporates with significant headcounts
- Public housing authorities
- Public sector organisations
- HR consultants
“We particularly like Jo’s style of advice that is pragmatic and ‘to the point’. She does not ‘sit on the fence’ and we always receive a clear recommended course of action. Jo provides us with fee arrangements that give us value and cost certainty. I would have no hesitation in recommending Jo’s services” – Kerry Jackson, Chief Executive, St Gemma’s Hospice
Recently published articles:
- Recent changes to zero hours contracts and minimum wage penalties: what do they mean for employers?
- Does a delay in the discovery of a pornographic email prevent it from being a repudiatory breach?
- Can a general flexibility clause be used to unilaterally vary a contract?
- Can an employer unilaterally change staff handbook terms?
- Advising a large UK distributor and manufacturer on TUPE implications of transferring assets into a Newco at the same time as outsourcing other services in the context of an impending administration.
- Advising on the sale of a financial institution to an American equity house with overall responsibility for due diligence, drafting of employment documentation including service agreements, consultancy agreements, compromise agreements, bonus letters and non executive appointment letters.
- Negotiating default TUPE provisions for inclusion in a European IT framework contract, including liaison with lawyers in Germany.
- Advising on high profile and large scale collective redundancy exercises affecting 1000s of employees
- Advising on the enforceability of collective bargaining agreements between a client and the trade union and the incorporation of terms into individual contracts
- Advising on the threat of industrial action in the context of on a large-scale harmonisation and collective redundancy process.
- Extensive litigation experience. This includes advocacy on a variety of claims including for equal pay, constructive dismissal, sex, race and disability discrimination and unfair dismissal.
Previous Law firms
- Employment Law Director, Walker Morris
- Associate, DAC Beachcroft
- Solicitor, DLA Piper
- Professional Skills Course – College of Law, London – 1997 – 1999
- Legal Practice Course (Merit) Leeds Metropolitan University – 1997
- University of Sheffield LLB (Hons) – 1993 – 1996