"I don't think I would have been able to have the strength to see it through to the end if Marlene wasn't there fighting my corner and being there at the end of the phone when I needed reassurance."
Employment Tribunal Claimant
What she’s best at:
Marlene is an experienced employment lawyer who has specialised solely in this area of law for more than 15 years. Her strength lies in advising and representing those who find themselves facing Employment Tribunal or Court proceedings arising out of work place disputes. She is skilled in the settlement of contentious employment disputes. In particular Marlene regularly acts in Public Interest Disclosure/Whistleblowing and complex sex, maternity, race and disability discrimination cases. She has recently represented employees in two claims in the Employment Appeal Tribunal.
Marlene also has experience of successfully representing employees who face injunctive proceedings following the alleged breach of post termination restrictions and the alleged theft of confidential information. She is also a qualified lecturer and carries out work place training in the area of employment law assisting businesses with day to day employee issues.
Marlene also carries out non contentious employment law work such as corporate support in relation to employees when businesses are transferred or sold. She also regularly drafts employment contracts and service agreements and has assisted a number of Senior Executives in the oil industry negotiate exit and salary/benefits packages. She is passionate about assisting in the development of sound and effective employee relations within work places with the objective of maximizing, growing and retaining the potential and skills of employees.
Who she works for:
- All manner of employees including doctors, teachers, social workers, solicitors, senior executives, retail/hospitality/restaurant workers and young workers
- SME directors and business owners
"I would like to say thank you for your help and support. I don't think I would have been able to have the strength to see it through to the end if you weren't there for me fighting my corner and being there at the end of the phone when I needed reassurance. Thank you very much." Employment Tribunal Claimant, December 2015
“I have not reached an outcome yet and so I am sure that I will still need Marlene's services for a little longer. I can only say that Marlene's support and advice has been excellent. Marlene talks straight and helps you understand the unfathomable world. That is employment law. Marlene's direction is clear and helpful. I really rate Marlene and would recommend her most highly.” - Dr. Elizabeth Scott-Gliba
"I would also like to thank you for the expertise and advise you have provided me these last few weeks. You have given me with a great deal of reassurance during this difficult period."
- Achieving a significant settlement at the Employment Appeal Tribunal for a doctor who was dismissed for “whistleblowing” whilst outside of UK territorial waters
- Achieving a very significant settlement for a public sector employee in a complex sex discrimination/dismissal claim
- Successfully challenging insurers in relation to Legal Expenses Insurance Cover
- Representing employees successfully after their claims had been rejected by other firms or their trade unions.
Previous Law Firms
- Fruhman Davies Livingstones Soicitors ( later merged with Glaisyers Solicitors LLP in late 2013)
- Whittles Solicitors
- Rowley Ashworth Solicitors
- Thompsons Solicitors
- Lecturer in Government & Politics – Runshaw College and Gorseinon College
- Queens University Belfast MSSc
- College of Law - London