“Matthew did a great job for us. He was responsive, thorough and efficient. It was very much appreciated and I look forward to working with Matthew again.” - Business Angel investor in regional magazine publishing group
What he’s best at:
Matthew is a vastly experienced corporate and commercial solicitor, having practised for over 25 years. He is a trusted advisor to successful corporates, with extensive experience in advising on company sales and acquisitions, including private equity and venture capital investments and management buyouts. He also advises on corporate structures, shareholder and LLP agreements. Matthew acts for businesses across a wide range of sectors, though he has a specialist interest in M&A in the technology and motor retail sectors.
Matthew is renowned for his ‘user-friendly’ and flexible style, with Chambers UK Independent directory 2012 describing him as ‘a calm, organised and confident corporate lawyer whose experience inspires trust in his clients’.
Who he works for:
- A wide range of owner-managed businesses
“Matthew did a great job for us on the Viva deal; he was responsive, thorough and efficient. It was very much appreciated and I look forward to working with Matthew again.” - Business Angel investor in regional magazine publishing group
"On behalf of the board which met earlier today, I am writing to formally thank you for all the work you carried out for us in our acquisition of Webbers. The timescale was very tight but it all got done on time and in good humour." - Paul Suter, Finance Director, Harwoods Limited, Top 50 regional car dealership group
- Acting for the Shareholders in the Sale of Gamesman Limited to Esterline Technologies Inc, a US$2bn company listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Acting on the sale of Elektromotive Limited to Chargemaster plc including negotiations with Elektromotive Group, a company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Numerous acquisitions for Harwoods Limited, one of the largest motor dealership groups in the South East and a number of other M&A transactions in the motor retail sector.
- Sale of part of a leading marine insurance broker and financial services group to Sunderland Marine.
- Management buy-out of Manor Creative Limited, the Sussex based print business.
- Sale of Patisserie Valerie London restaurant group to Luke Johnson (Risk Capital Partners)
- Venture capital investment in Connect Mortgages Group by MMC Ventures.
- Acquisition of Lewes Football Club.
- Sale of Platinum Portfolios Limited to PFM Group Limited.
- Sale of Boileaus residential sales and lettings agency based in Barnes, South West London to Carter Jonas.
- Investment by Business Growth Fund in our client, East Sussex Press Limited.
- Sale of a retail opticians to Leightons Group.
- Sale of the Pyrotec Group of companies to London Security plc.
- Management buy-out of Bio-Productions Limited.
- Sale of residential sales and lettings agency in Highgate, London to Home Minders (London) Limited.
- Acquisition by our client Pureprint Group of the shares of Imprint Creative Print Solutions Limited in Newcastle.
Things he’s written:
Previous Law Firms
- Partner, Head of Corporate and Commercial, Adams and Remers LLP (1998 – 2013)
- Solicitor, Corporate, Thomas Eggar (1993-1998)
- Solicitor, Corporate, Payne Hicks Beach (1988-1993)
- University of Cambridge