"His ability to tune into clients' concerns and guide them through problems in an objective way is nothing less than skillful art...” - George Williams, director and majority shareholder (on restructuring and sale of Priority Freight Group)
What he's best at:
Nick is known as a commercially minded and common sense corporate and business lawyer. He advises companies ranging from UK start-ups to multi-national trading groups on a wide range of corporate and commercial law issues. His work has ranged from advising on the sale and purchase of several telecom related companies, to buying a well-known European football club, and advising on a debt/equity restructuring for a shipping group. Nick also assists in resolving shareholder disputes.
Aside from his work as a lawyer, Nick lectures and writes regularly on various aspects of corporate law including directors’ duties and corporate governance. He is an active member of the “Good Law Initiative”, set up by the UK Cabinet Office and the Office of Parliamentary Council, and is a co-founder of the SME Alliance a lobby group for smaller businesses.
Who he works for:
- Directors of all types of companies
- Major Private Companies
- Overseas companies doing business in the UK
“Nick has been our legal advisor on most of our corporate and commercial law matters for many years now. He normally finds common sense and practical solutions to the numerous matters we throw at him.” - Barry Johnstone, Managing Director, CTV Outside Broadcasts Limited
“You have worked tirelessly on this and it has been fraught to the end. Your ability to tune into your clients concerns and guide them through problems in an objective way is nothing less than skillful art at the service of your undoubted knowledge and experience.” - George Williams, director and majority shareholder (on restructuring and sale of Priority Freight Group)
- Numerous articles on corporate governance, directors’ duties and related matters including “Common sense the dark matter of business law”- following lecture given at UCL Centre for Commercial Law.
- A series of articles entitled “Problems with the law”.
- Acquisition for large travel group on acquisition of similar company.
- Pre-sale advice leading ultimately to the sale of, a logistics group.
- Advising minority interests in a listed company on a City Code, take-over.
- Led a team on the sale of a UK based international pharmaceutical distribution group with about 40 subsidiaries in 12 jurisdictions.
- The purchase and restructuring of a European dockyard.
- Advising a US client on the proposed acquisition of a European shipping based group with operations in Europe, India and the Far East. Worked with US lawyers and bankers on private placing to fund the acquisition.
- The purchase of a specialist camera company for a leading European outside broadcast group.
- Advising a client taking a minority stake in a small non-UK bank.
Previous Law Firms:
- Clifford Turner/Clifford Chance
- Osler Hoskin Harcourt (Toronto)
- Ince & Co
- Collyer Bristow
- University of Leicester (LLB)
Nick lectures widely on corporate governance, directors’ duties and related legal issues including guest lecturer at UCL Law Faculty, BPP Law School, Herzliya Interdisciplinary College (Israel).