Client sources describe Rachael as “very capable” – Legal 500
A business savvy dispute avoidance and resolution specialist with 20 years’ experience of finding early solutions to issues that could escalate into protracted disputes or litigation. Rachael firmly believes that litigation should be the absolute last resort due to the uncertain outcome, unpredictable costs and distraction to core business.
Personable and straight talking, Rachael works with clients as a long term trusted adviser investing her time in understanding their businesses and operating sectors. Her guidance and advice at the early stages of a potential dispute is highly commercial with the driver being to avoid escalation. Once a dispute is resolved, Rachael provides advice on any measures that can be put in place by her client to avoid similar disputes in the future.
A passionate advocate for all parties and their advisers recognising that disputes are as much about people as they are about the legal issues. An understanding of the psychological dynamic in disputes and her significant commercial negotiation experience give Rachael an edge in terms of finding an early resolution. Rachael is a strong believer that a “win or lose” mentality will always stand in the way of reaching a sensible cost effective resolution to a commercial dispute, her motto is “resolution without conflict”.
Rachael is a pioneer in the legal sector having been one of the first Chief Executives to lead a legal business through to a successful sale. She also oversees her own portfolio of non-legal businesses on a non-executive basis. As an entrepreneurial business owner, Rachael fully understands the benefit to businesses of having certainty around costs and operates on a fixed fee basis for the services that she provides.
Who she works for:
Rachael acts for business owners and commercial organisations in relation to disputes with customers/clients, directors, shareholders and third parties. She also specialises in the recovery of high value debt.
- Financial services
- Government work
- Professional services
- Former Chief Executive of a Legal 500 ranked litigation practice acting for financial institutions, government agencies, high street retailers and blue chip clients. Built value in the business and led it to a successful sale.
- Led the litigation due diligence team on a major financial services acquisition.
- Compromised multiple potentially high profile consumer claims against a financial institution avoiding press and consumer body attention.
- Successfully resolved a highly sensitive case for a Government agency involving a challenge to the interpretation of EC Regulations that governed all regulated fresh meat premises across the UK.
- Project leader of a team of lawyers involved in securing and executing a search and seizure order at residential premises to gather evidence against a fraudulent director.
- Key team member in the successful mediation of 120 professional negligence and fraud claims against solicitors and surveyors.
- Acquired, re-engineered and now oversees in a non-executive capacity a portfolio of successful business in the property, franchise and travel sectors.
Previous Law Firms:
- Squire Patton Boggs
- University of Huddersfield
- College of Law
- Qualified as a solicitor in 1998