What she’s best at:
Rowena is a specialist employment lawyer with over 14 years post qualification experience working for large commercial law firms including Hammonds, Addleshaw Goddard, DAC Beachcroft and Walker Morris.
She acts primarily for corporate clients providing advice, tribunal representation, advocacy and training. Rowena is recommended by clients and colleagues as an approachable and easy to engage with business adviser who provides robust, straightforward and commercially sensible advice and representation.
Rowena has handled numerous employment tribunal matters including conducting her own advocacy and working with Counsel. Many of her cases have been multi-day, multi-strand claims. She is experienced in managing claims and guiding clients and witnesses through the tribunal process.
Rowena was a senior member of DAC Beachcroft's Discrimination and Diversity Unit. This involved being a first contact for complex discrimination related queries, developing internal know how and writing training materials and briefings.
Non contentious and know how
Rowena currently holds a know-how and training role involving writing weekly and monthly updates and case reviews, material for websites, twitter content and articles for publication in external journals.
In addition, non contentious experience includes:
- Negotiating executive severance packages including advising on associated issues such as share options and bonus payments.
- Providing strategic advice on restructuring exercises, collective redundancies and TUPE matters.
- Advising on disciplinary, grievance and performance management issues.
- Corporate support on business acquisitions and disposals including drafting and negotiating indemnities and warranties and advising on consultation processes. She has presented many seminars and briefings both to large groups (for example, presenting at the CIPD annual conference) and in smaller workshop formats. Whilst at DAC Beachcroft Rowena wrote, presented and co-ordinated bi-monthly breakfast briefings on topical subjects for senior HR professionals and in house lawyers.
- From April to October 2010, Rowena undertook a secondment to the employment legal team at Bupa. During this secondment, she gained a valuable insight into the role, drivers and perspectives of in-house counsel and HR teams. She has since provided consultancy services to Bupa as an independent contractor.
In house experience
- She designed and delivered a two day employment training workshop at a client's US parent’s HQ in Philadelphia.
Recent publications / speaking appointments / seminars given:
Rowena has presented many seminars and briefings both to large groups (for example, presenting at the CIPD annual conference) and in smaller workshop formats. Whilst at DAC Beachcroft she wrote, presented and co-ordinated bi-monthly breakfast briefings on topical subjects for senior HR professionals and in house lawyers.
Rowena designed and delivered a two day employment training workshop at a client's US parent’s HQ in Philadelphia.
She has had a number of articles published in legal and trade journals.
- Consultant Solicitor, Employment, Walker Morris (May 2013-present)
- Solicitor, Employment, DAC Beachcroft (May 2007-November 2010)
- Solicitor, Employment, DAC Beachcroft
- Solicitor, Employment, Hammonds (now Squire Sanders)
- Trainee Solicitor then Assistant Solicitor, Burnetts (Qualified 2001)
- Consultant Solicitor, Bupa
- College of Law, York, Legal Practice Course – Commendation (1994-1995)
- University of Northumbria, Common Professional Examination (1993-1994)
- University of Hull, BA Joint Hons (Law and Philosophy) (1990-1993)