Shahid is a Legal 500 based specialist lawyer in corporate crime and HMRC civil and criminal tax investigations. He has significant experience in acting for high-profile domestic and international clients and frequently advises on complex commercial fraud, regulatory enforcement and money laundering cases. Shahid has extensive knowledge of the law relating to corruption, banking fraud and tax evasion.
Shahid is a leading expert in Proceeds of Crime Act Proceedings (POCA) and has significant experience in Confiscation and Civil Asset Recovery POCA proceedings before the High Court.
Shahid has achieved a number of successes in the Crown Court, High Court and Court of Appeal in POCA matters most recently successfully defending a former Times Rich List individual in respect of multimillion pound confiscation proceedings in which allegations of "hidden assets" were made and which involved international asset tracing and parallel insolvency and chancery proceedings.
Shahid also has extensive experience the field of VAT and tax fraud cases and has successfully defended a company director of an international business with offices in London, Dubai, Hong Kong and Manila in respect of a £250 million VAT miser trader fraud as well as a UK based company officer in respect of a £360 million VAT fraud. He has acted for businesses before the First and Upper Tax Tribunal as well as dealing with civil VAT and Excise Duty Appeals.
Summary of work types:
- Search Warrant – challenging of search and seizure warrant to the High Court
- Investigation – responding to arrest or interview with
- Prosecuting Agencies, preparing a defence to allegations made of fraud
- Restraint/Confiscation matters – dealing with unlocking assets that are restrained during investigation and enabling business/personal income to unrestrained. Advising on all aspects of confiscation under POCA
- HMRC investigation – vat, excise duty, missing trader, tax evasion/fraud advice
- Appeals to Tax Tribunal in respect of tax assessments and tax compliance