“Described as a ‘very talented’ lawyer, he has a well-established position in this market.” Chambers Global Law Directory.
What he's best at:
Simon is a talented finance lawyer and has worked for the last 15 years in the banking practices of two leading international law firms. He has extensive experience in a wide range of banking and finance transactions worldwide, including Europe, the Middle East and Asia. He specialises in advising on financings across a number of asset classes including real estate, securities based lending and oil & gas. He also has expertise acting on project financings, secondary market transactions, distressed debt and corporate restructurings.
Who he works for:
Simon enjoys working for a broad range of clients, including lenders (banks, funds and alternative credit providers) and borrowers, from global corporations and financial institutions to high net worth individuals.
"We have worked with Simon Baum on several large scale complex international finance transactions. He was very experienced and knowledgeable. He always provided responsive and exceptional legal service." - Leora Pratt Levin, General Counsel, Delek Group Limited
"Simon is a very good technical lawyer who is client focused and commercial at the same time. One can place trust in Simon and know he will get the deal over the line. I would not hesitate to recommend him." - Tobi Rufus, Goldman Sachs
Simon’s recent financing mandates include advising:
- Delek Energy Systems Ltd. on their US$100m margin financing provided by a leading global investment bank;
- a leading global investment bank on more than forty margin loans to ultra-high net worth individuals; and
- a leading global investment bank on a US$150m margin loan to an international energy company.
Project Finance and Oil & Gas Financings
- the sponsors on the US$900m financing of the development of the Tamar gas field;
- the European Investment Bank and the commercial lenders on the Sorek desalination project financing;
- the sponsors on the US$500m financing of the development of the Leviathan gas field; and
- KFW IPEX-Bank GmbH and Bayerische Landesbank on the Tel Aviv light rail project.
Real Estate Financings
- an international bank on a hotel acquisition facility;
- a leading European real estate fund on the acquisition of a distressed residential portfolio; and
- Merrill Lynch International Bank on €137m refinancing of existing facilities made available to Nova Ljubljanska Banka d.d., Ljubljana;
- Citibank N.A., in relation to the debt restructuring of Songbird Finance Limited; and
- the banking syndicate on the restructuring of the Pearl Group.
- Unicredito Italiano SPA on a US$100m Acquisition Financing;
- the Borrower on a US$150m Bridge Financing provided by UBS AG, London Branch; and
- Goldman Sachs International on a £460m Mezzanine Financing.
Previous Law Firms
- Partner, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP (2013 – 2016)
- Consultant, Allen & Overy LLP (2007 – 2013)
- Associate, Allen & Overy LLP (2003 – 2007)
- Trainee, Allen & Overy LLP (2001 – 2003)
- University College London (LLB, First Class Hons.)