Duncan Leslie, Chief Executive of Hever Castle in Kent – “Simon has been our employment lawyer for 9 years and has always given us excellent advice. I am only too happy to recommend him."
What he's best at:
Simon provides day to day advice, assistance with strategic issues such as restructuring, collective redundancy, TUPE. He also drafts policies and procedures, service agreements, settlement agreements etc.
Simon provides training sessions on all areas of employment law with his most popular sessions being: how to conduct fair disciplinary and grievance processes, anti-discrimination training, mock disciplinary hearings and mock employment tribunals.
Simon conducts his own advocacy in both employment tribunals and the Employment Appeals Tribunal on all areas of employment law including wage claims, unfair dismissal, all types of discrimination as well as TUPE, data protection and equal pay.
Who he works for:
Simon’s clients are from diverse sectors, including: retail, transport, public sector, TV production, food and manufacturing, employment agencies and colleges.
John Dean, Head of HR at GB Railfreight - "Simon is the most proficient Employment Lawyer I have dealt with in over 20 years of involvement in IR and ER matters. His knowledge and pragmatic approach to managing situations has provided me with highly insightful and effective advice to manage and mitigate 'risk'. I would highly recommend Simon to any HR professional seeking to effect a positive and progressive IR / ER strategy".
Baljinder Singh, Head of HR at Greenwoods Menswear - "Since I’ve known Simon he has consistently provided exceptional levels of professional services. Simon is able to establish a comfort level with clients at an early stage. He not only provides this assurance but also excels in achieving the desired results".
James Dunbar, Head of Human Resources at Transdev Blazefield – "Simon is extremely adept at appreciating the needs of his client. His ability to address not only the direct question asked of him but to anticipate supplementary questions made him an ideal legal representative. He gave advice, and explanations of how he came to conclusions"
- Advised on a collective redundancy consultation saving the client £500,000 in so doing.
- Planning and assisting client (with 8,800 employees) with a large scale change project including upskilling managers, HR and TU reps, advising on redundancy and changing terms and conditions.
- Delivered national training programme on how to conduct disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Successfully defending a race discrimination claim in a multi week hearing in which the claimant was seeking £3m in damages.
- Obtaining maximum costs against a claimant in an unfair dismissal and age and sex discrimination claim.
Simon blogs daily on Linkedin and writes a popular free weekly employment law update.
Previous Law Firms:
- Shoosmiths LLP – Employment Law Partner
- Gordons LLP – Employment Law Partner
- Ford & Warren – Employment Law Partner
- Bakewells – Employment Lawyer
- College of Law, York – Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies
- University of East Anglia – Bachelor of Laws