“...highly innovative, able to use his legal expertise to solve problems rather than create them...pragmatic and clear thinking” a Chief Strategy Officer.
What he's best at:
Tim specialises in public procurement and major projects.
Described by one of the directories as a “procurement heavyweight” he provides clear, practical advice on all aspects of procurement (both contentious and non-contentious) including the design of the procurement strategy for the most complex programmes and projects; the choice of appropriate selection and award criteria; competitive dialogue; concessions; establishing multi-user/multi-supplier framework agreements, and on the practical application of the Treaty principles of transparency and equal treatment etc. and has extensive experience of shaping new, innovative procurement programmes that secure maximum flexibility for the clients.
Tim applies his experience as a former senior lawyer and senior civil servant in HM Government to help public sector clients achieve effective, robust, value-for-money contractual relationships (including outsourcing) and to help bidders improve their chances of success.
Tim’s sectoral expertise covers the public sector (including NDPBs); transport; nuclear; information technology (including cyber security); waste; security and defence.
He has held senior executive positions in government departments and agencies, and in professional services firms and has held a non-executive directorship in an acute NHS Trust.
- Central and local government
- Healthcare providers and commissioners
- Bidders, Providers and Suppliers (from global corporations to SMEs and third sector providers)
“...Tim takes a practical approach to advising his clients”
”...highly innovative, able to use his legal expertise to solve problems rather than create them...pragmatic and clear thinking” a Chief Strategy Officer.
- Lead lawyer for HM Government on the £1.3billion PFI programme for the new headquarters for GCHQ;
- Advising Eurostar in major High Court litigation concerning the Utilities Regulations (Alstom Transport –v- Eurostar International Limited (1) and Siemens plc  EWHC 1828 Ch.)
- Advising the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) on its complex, multi-billion pound procurement for the decommissioning of Dounrey nuclear power station;
- Programme Board Member for HM Government’s Information Assurance Programme Board;
Senior User and lead lawyer on the project to establish the multi-user/multi-provider/multi-lot framework agreement for legal services to Whitehall Departments and agencies (‘L-CAT).
- Advising the NHS in Wales on the procurement and contract management implications of Brexit;
- Expert witness to the Public Administration Select Committee inquiry into government procurement and commercial skills (2012).
- Advising the The Royal Parks on devising a strategy to meet the new Concessions Directive;
- Advising QinetiQ on a range of matters which involved advice on wireless telegraphy; IT law; data protection and human rights issues.
- Advising the Department for Education on its procurement for the refurbishment of Old Admiralty House;
- Providing a procurement law ‘compliance analysis’ for Babcock International in relation to a major tender;
- Advising the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and drafting its Global Procurement Policy and Guidance.
- Advising a number of public and private sector organisations on aspects of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000; Official Secrets Acts; the Computer Misuse Act 1990, Convention on Cyber Crime (2001), the Intelligence Services Act 1994, and Human Rights Act 1998 (esp Articles 6 and 8 and the First Protocol).
- Negotiating and drafting international contracts between HM Government and major international corporations.
- Drafting an SPA for the UK national gas suppliers’ organisation for a new strategic partnership with a major data- services company to deliver a mission- critical theft reduction initiative. This was designed to implement OFGEM’s legal ‘direction’ to all suppliers.
- Representing HM Government in international Treaty collaborations in the IT sector.
Advising local authorities and Partnerships for Schools on numerous Building Schools for the Future (BSF) projects;
- Designing and implementing a forensic methodology for the review of operational PFI contracts.
- Advising a health service body on handling the regulatory and contractual consequences of a major data protection breach.
- Designing a state aid compliant grant - allocation scheme (using monies from the European Social Fund via Welsh Government) for the re-training of nuclear industry staff in North Wales.
Publications, Appointments and Memberships:
- 'Power In Procurement' (Heywood, T. and Lonsdale C. (2012) PPP Journal)
- Visiting Lecturer, (Procurement and Commissioning) University of Birmingham Business School; Institute of Local Government (INLOGOV) and the Health Service Management Centre.
- Former member of the CBI advisory group on procurement and PFL
- Member of the Procurement Lawyers Association
- Director, Burges Salmon LLP
- Partner, Bevan Brittan LLP
- Director, Procurement and Commercial, Treasury Solicitor’s Department
- Deputy Legal Adviser, GCHQ.
- Non-executive director of an NHS Acute Trust