“Outstanding – a towering intellect coupled with pragmatism, empathy and common sense make an exceptional combination.” – Legal 500
What he’s best at:
Wyn Derbyshire is a partner with over 25 years experience specialising in UK pensions, trusts and related employment law in all industry sectors. He has wide experience of the pension issues that can arise in corporate transactions and flotations, the establishment, maintenance and merger of all types of pension arrangements and discrimination issues relating to pension matters. In addition, he provides advice to pension scheme trustees generally and advises in relation to litigious and overseas pension issues such as QROPS. He is a well-known writer and commentator on pension issues generally.
Who he works for:
- Wyn works for employers who sponsor pension schemes and related parties such as shareholders, pension scheme trustees and managers, and high net worth individuals.
- Wyn has been described as being “calm, focused and wise” and “outstanding – a towering intellect coupled with pragmatism, empathy and common sense make an exceptional combination” – Legal 500
- Wyn has been listed as a “leading individual” and has been described as someone who “knows everything about pensions” - Chambers
Wyn's recent pensions work includes:
- The provision of advice to the trustees of a charity in relation to a pension scheme merger exercise
- Advice to a multi-national organisation in relation to pensions aspects of an international business disposal
- Establishment of a new defined benefit occupational pension scheme for the UK wing of a multi-national business
- Advice in relation to the provision of non-registered pension scheme benefits to a number of high net worth individuals
- Advice to the potential purchaser of an insolvent business which operates a large underfunded defined benefit pension scheme
Wyn has written a large number of pensions-related articles during the course of his career, and has contributed to the technical practice notes published by Lexis Nexis. In addition, he is the author of the “pensions and transactions” chapter of Sweet & Maxwell’s “Law of Pension Schemes. He is also the co-author of “Pensions and Employment Law: Issues at the Interface” published by Sweet & Maxwell (2008), “TUPE: Law and Practice” published by Spiramus Press (4th edition, 2014) and contributor to “Good Governance for Pension Schemes” published by Cambridge University Press. In addition, Wyn has written and contributed towards a number of books on non-pensions related matters such as financial histories and biographies.
Previous Law Firms:
- Clifford Chance
- Titmuss Sainer Dechert
- S J Berwin (later King & Wood Mallesons)
- University of Leeds - Chemistry BSc (Hons)
- Cambridge University – PhD (Natural Sciences)
- College of Law – Common Professional Examination and Solicitors Finals