"Technically excellent and an outstandingly good and pragmatic lawyer that we like having in our team."
Corporate Real Estate Group, Lloyds Banking Group
"Alex Innes is described by one client as ‘highly experienced and extremely commercial. He’s not one of those lawyers that sits on the fence. He will give you an honest appraisal of the answer."
"We have worked very closely with Alex for a number of years and always value his legal expertise and pragmatic advice. It has been great having Alex as part of our team, giving us confidence in our decision making as a result of his insight and support.”
Head of Business, The Route - City wealth club
“In addition to being our company secretary for over 20 years, Alex provides us with a wealth of legal expertise, keeps our governance objectives in check and is an invaluable sounding board on the most critical issues we face from commercial matters to reputational risk and beyond. He is a valuable asset to many aspects of our day-to-day work and our future planning.”
CEO, The TV Foundation / Edinburgh TV Festival
Alex is a very experienced Banking & Finance and Corporate lawyer, with more than 30 years’ experience of advising clients in England and Wales, and in Scotland.
As well as being a partner in law firms since 1992, Alex has practical experience of businesses having worked within a major UK bank, as well as being Head of Legal and Risk at a wealth management business located in London for more than 4 years. This combination of law firms and industry has enabled Alex to apply his technical legal skills to the best advantage of his business clients.
Alex has advised banks, alternative funders, family offices, and wealthy individuals, on secured investments, with a particular skillset of advising on real estate finance, including investment and development finance.
As well as advising borrowers on securing finance, Alex can advise businesses on acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures, and succession planning. Also, being a specialist in Risk Management and Governance, enables Alex to advise corporate boards and charities on good governance, and provide valuable input to facilitate robust decision-making for directors.
Alex Advises On...
Businesses in connection with the following:
- Funders – of all types from national banks to alternative funders and family offices;
- Borrowers – particularly those involved in property investment and development;
- Acquisitions and sales, joint ventures, and succession planning;
- Risk Management and Governance;
- Professional Firms – on constitutional documents;
- Advised Tesco plc on the Scottish aspects of various securitisation structures; including ensuring that the structure, and due diligence were satisfactory for the issuer of the various Bonds
- Advised on the use of corporate real estate structures including Jersey Property Unit Trusts, and limited partnerships, and combinations of both, to effect the individual sale and purchase of over 18 shopping centres with an aggregate value in excess of £1.8 billion throughout the UK
- Commercial negotiator – leading (in place of the client) the strategic negotiations direct with a bank to ensure the successful exit of the client from the bank with debt forgiveness of more than £10 million (being 30% of the overall debt); which assisted the bank to reduce its capital requirement and obtain a higher return than through insolvency proceedings, and enabled the client to retain its business with greatly reduced debt levels
- Advised various venues in connection with the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, and also the organisers of the Edinburgh Christmas Market and the Edinburgh Hogmanay Event.
Previous Law Firms
- Bell & Scott 1992-1999;
- Steedman Ramage 1999-2001;
- Semple Fraser 2001-2013;
- Anderson Strathern 2013-2014; and
- Addleshaw Goddard 2014-2018
In House Experience
- Head of Legal and Risk at Route City Wealth Club 2018-2022
- Company Secretary of the Edinburgh international Television Festival 2001 to date
- University of Edinburgh LLB, and DipLP
- Open University Diploma in Management
- Certified as a Specialist in Risk Management and Governance