Alka is a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and India) with a specialisation in corporate, commercial, banking and financial law. She has more than 8 years of extensive post qualification experience in India and more than 10 years in the UK across various sectors including hospitality, banking, mining, technology, education & training, entertainment, clean energy and media.
Her cross-jurisdictional experience helps her find the most suitable, viable and commercially savvy solutions in due compliance with UK and Indian regulatory and legal regime, making it easier for various businesses to meet extensive cross border challenges with ease and confidence.
With an in-depth general finance background, she manages and leads on a wide variety of cross-border transactions, including real estate finance, structured financing, asset finance, revolving credits, acquisition finance, ECB funding, general banking, debt recovery and amendments and waivers through to full restructurings and realisation of assets.
She has extensive experience in drafting and advising on various financing documents, instituting recovery proceedings, drafting legal notices, appointing LPAs, mediation, carrying professional negligence proceedings, expressing opinions and drafting procedural documents for bank’s use on various regulatory aspects related with consumer credit regime, confidentially obligations, enforcement mechanism etc.
She also specialises in business restructuring, shareholder agreements, share purchase agreements, shareholder disputes and related matters.
- Banking and financial institutions
- Property Developers
- Small to big sized corporates
- Franchisees & Franchisors
- She negotiated the Master Franchise Agreement on behalf of New Horizons India Limited for whole of India with New Horizons Computer Learning Centers, USA and thereafter drafted Franchisee agreements and formulated procedures for recruiting new Franchisees throughout India
- She acted for Zamin Group for the sale of 50% of their interest in one of the Brazilian iron ore mine to ENRC for a net cash consideration of US$670million
- Alka, with the coordination of local lawyers, has done many mine acquisitions in Venezuela, Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Laos, in the price range of £500,000 to £150 million
Previous Law Firms
- May 2015- Aug 2019 (J & J Solicitors)
- Feb 2008- May 2015 (Zamin Advisors Limited (In-house Solicitor)
- Aug 2007- Jan 2008 (Morgan Walker Solicitors)
- March 2017 (Bevan Brittan)
- Jan 2006 – Sept 2006 (Moser Baer India Limited (world’s second-largest manufacturer of Optical Storage Media), Manager Secretarial & Legal, Delhi, India)
- Oct 2002 – Jan 2006 (New Horizons India Limited, Company Secretary, Gurgaon, India)
- Sept 2000 – Sept 2002 (Business Standard Limited (leading media company in India), Company Secretary, Delhi, India)
- Feb 2000 – Sept 2000 (New Horizons India Limited, Company Secretary, Delhi, India)
- Jan 1999 – Jan 2000- (ITC Hotels Limited, leading hospitality company in India)
- Admitted to the role of Solicitors of England and Wales (2009)
- Admitted as an Advocate to the Bar Council of Delhi, India (2006)
- Admitted as a member of Institute of Company Secretaries of India (2000)
- 2008 BPP Law School: Cleared Qualifying Lawyers Transfer Test (QLTT) qualifying as a Solicitor.
- 2007 University of Bristol: LL.M (Banking Law, International Contracts, Financial Services Law & Policy, and Intellectual Property Law)
- 2004 C.C.S. University, India: Bachelor of Law (LL.B.)
- 2003 Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, India: Masters Diploma in Business Administration (Finance) (MDBA) 1999 Institute of Company Secretaries of India: Company Secretaryship (C.S.)
- 1998 H. P. University, India: Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.)