Angus has over 15 years’ experience of advising employers on their people strategies. He acts for organisations of various shape and size from smaller owner-managed businesses to large plcs and multinational groups and he also advises individuals on their employment rights and issues.
As well as assisting clients with discrimination claims and allegations, and with day to day employment issues such as discipline and grievances, absence management, holiday and working time matters, Angus has particular experience in advising on changing terms and conditions of employment and the people-related aspects of group reorganisations, business transfers and outsourcing projects, many of which have had an international context. He is therefore comfortable providing UK redundancy and TUPE advice whilst coordinating the relevant employment input from other jurisdictions where necessary. Angus also enjoys working with foreign (particularly US and French) businesses engaging staff in the UK or encountering difficulties with their UK personnel for the first time.
Having previously set up an Employment law team within a multidisciplinary practice, he understands how the requirements of tax, pensions, reward and social security sometimes compete with employment law demands, necessitating cooperation between specialists to create practical solutions for clients.
- Senior Executives
- Advising a bidder for one of the UK’s top 4 airports and ensuring that proposals for dealing with employees on the separation of the airport from its existing group took into account legal obligations and timelines.
- Reorganisation of structure for a global telecommunications giant including the transformation of a subsidiary into a Societas Europaea (SE). This was believed to be the first time such a project had involved migration of a company seat from the UK to another jurisdiction and the Employment work stream required the establishment of a special negotiating body, liaising with works council members and collaboration with Tax, Corporate and Employment Law colleagues in the UK and two additional jurisdictions.
- Employment/HR due diligence in relation to various transactions including the $1bn acquisition of an international media business by a US entertainment company.
- Leading a multidisciplinary investigation into pay policies, processes and systems at a major High Street retailer.
- Advising CRM and credit management provider on TUPE implications of taking over various call centre activities from a broadband provider, carrying out due diligence and reviewing and negotiating employment clauses in outsourcing agreement.
- Advising owners of an independent travel insurer on its sale to a global insurance conglomerate.
- Advising a global gaming provider in respect of Employment Tribunal proceedings against HMRC in respect of alleged breaches of NMW legislation. Negotiating satisfactory settlement.
- Successfully defending a manufacturing and engineering employer against an unfair dismissal claim brought following the introduction of short time working during the economic downturn.
- Advising a multinational Technology business in connection with its High Court proceedings against its former MD who left to join a competitor in breach of his restrictive covenants.
- Advising finance arm of automotive company in relation to TUPE implications of taking over finance operations for another car manufacturer.
- Advising numerous senior executives on termination of employment issues with employers across many sectors – often with an international element due to the nationality of the individual.
Previous Law Firms
- McGrigors LLP (now Pinsent Masons LLP)
- Eversheds LLP
- Hadaway & Hadaway Solicitors
- Head of Employment Legal Services, KPMG LLP