Drawing on over 20 years’ magic circle law firm experience advising on complex transactions for some of the world’s leading financial institutions, Matthew is renowned for his clear, direct and commercially focused approach.
In addition to specialist knowledge of structured finance, securitisation, capital markets and derivatives, Matthew provides general advice on a broad range of financial and commercial matters.
Matthew has practised in Japan, the Middle East, Ireland and the United Kingdom. His skills have been recognised over the course of his career in Chambers, Legal 500 and Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Capital Markets Lawyers.
- Fund managers
- Institutional investors
Structured Finance and Derivatives
- Acted for Morgan Stanley as arranger of hundreds of repackaging and structured product transactions.
- Acted for Société Générale on the Merlin synthetic CDO for Hannover Re, an innovative deal to achieve risk transfer of insurance risk. IFLR Structured Deal of the Year 2008
Securitisation and Covered Bonds
- Acted for Credit Suisse as arranger of synthetic regulatory capital SME receivables transactions for Swiss and Dutch financial institutions.
- Acted for Deutsche Bank, Barclays Capital and Bank of Cyprus on the establishment and update of covered bond programmes for financial institutions in Greece and Cyprus.
- Acted for Morgan Stanley as arranger of auto loan, equipment lease, consumer finance and real estate securitisations in Japan.
- Acted for Citibank, HSBC and Morgan Stanley on the establishment and update of EMTN programmes and drawdowns in Japan, Europe and the Middle East.
Bank Recovery and Resolution
- Advised Bank of Cyprus on the bail-in of depositors and other matters following the Troika led bail-out of Cyprus in 2013. Finance Team of the Year at The Lawyer Awards 2015.
- Acted for General Authority of Civil Aviation as issuer of the first sovereign guaranteed sukuk in Saudi Arabia. IFLR Middle East Debt and Equity-Linked Deal of the Year 2012.
- Acted for Wells Fargo as agent and security trustee on a syndicated loan restructuring and enforcement.
- Acted for Dresdner Bank on the restructuring of CLO transactions.
- Advised on strategic alliance agreements with key investors.
- Advised on asset acquisitions, financing and hedging.
Previous Law Firms
- 2012-2016: Sidley Austin (London), Partner.
- 1999-2012: Clifford Chance (London, Tokyo and Abu Dhabi), Partner.
- 1992-1999: Clifford Chance (London and Tokyo), Associate.
Education and Qualifications
- 1992: Solicitor, England and Wales
- 1991: Solicitor, Ireland
- 1988: University College Cork, BCL