Nicola is a highly experienced international finance specialist. She has extensive experience across the spectrum of debt finance, including project and infrastructure finance, corporate lending and leveraged finance, real estate finance, trade and export finance, fund finance and debt restructuring.
Nicola has 25 years’ experience practising with UK and North American international law firms, and as Group Senior Finance Counsel with a leading European investment bank and with the main TV and broadcasting group across Central & Eastern Europe. She has also served on the Bank of England’s Taskforce on LIBOR Transition and on the Documentation Committee of the Loan Market Association.
Nicola advises commercial banks, international financial institutions, syndicates, corporate borrowers, project sponsors, private equity, and investment funds on single and multi-sourced financings in jurisdictions including the UK, the Americas, sub-Saharan Africa, CEE, and Asia Pacific. Nicola additionally provides high-quality specialist English Law banking transaction services to relationship international law firms.
Nicola’s practice within Banking & Finance complements the firm’s interdisciplinary teams across Real Estate and Construction, Corporate, Private Equity, and Restructuring to provide a first-rate, customised, value-added solution.
- Commercial lenders and development finance institutions
- Facility agents and arranging banks
- Investment funds and private equity
- Corporate and institutional borrowers
- Project sponsors
Select Representative Transactions
- Advising an international real estate investment group in connection with a £350m consolidated UK real estate refinancing, and its simultaneous £170m UK real estate refinancing with bespoke hedging.
- Advising a leading healthcare group in relation to its syndicated £120m real estate development and investment financing, corporate reorganisation and associated project co-ordination.
- Advising on standstill and bridge financing arrangements for a major UK shopping centre in the context of a group restructuring in the parent’s administration with total debt funding of £4.5bn.
- Advising a listed infrastructure investment group on a £400m syndicated refinancing with corporate “onshoring”.
- Advising international loan market participants on LIBOR transition issues, conventions and negotiations on new and legacy financings across relevant jurisdictions, currencies, and sectors.
- Advising the European Financial Institutions Group of a leading Canadian Bank on its portfolio of investment grade fund financings.
- Advising the senior lender on a US$150m project financing and group restructuring for a gold mine project in Ghana.
- Advising the Lenders on several structured pre-export and pre-payment receivables-backed commodities financings across sub-Saharan Africa.
- Advising the Agent Bank on the senior debt and intercreditor arrangements on an oil services group’s project and acquisition financings in Nigeria.
- Bespoke hedging advice to a pharmacy chain in relation to its £130m syndicated refinancing.
- Representing EBRD and IFC on several debt and equity project financings across Central & Eastern Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East — notably in infrastructure, telecoms, agribusiness, commodities and oil and gas.
- Advising the main TV and broadcasting group in Central & Eastern Europe (CEE) on various syndicated project and acquisition financings, debt issuances, security and intercreditor arrangements relating to its projects and operations cross several CEE jurisdictions.
- Advising a metals and mining lender on various pre-export and pre-purchase hard commodity financings in Kazakhstan.
- Drafting and advising on structured escrow negotiations around an US$800m South African mining corporate sale into China.
- Advising the Lender groups in the multi-sourced financing of the privatization and rehabilitation of the Maputo Port, Mozambique.
- Advising a leading US telecoms group as co-sponsor on various large scale project financings in excess of US$1billion, together with associated restructuring arrangements in respect of its of sub-marine fibre optics cable networks in US, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
- Advising EBRD and ING Bank on structured trade finance LC facilities and global financing arrangements for Central European Media Enterprises.
- Representing major Canadian corporations (including Bombardier, SNC Lavalin, Cirque du Soleil and Parmalat Canada) and Canadian financial institutions on their international syndicated financing arrangements and market operations.
- Allen & Overy (training)
- LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae LLP (UK, USA)
- Ogilvy Renault LLP (UK, Canada)
- Credit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank, UK
- Central European Media Enterprises (UK, CEE)
Publications & Thought Leadership
Nicola’s thought leadership projects often focus on comparative market practice in the European and US markets and their implications for international market participants. Examples include comparative approaches to sanctions provisions in European and US loan market documentation (US Banking Law Journal); practical implications of EU / US regulatory conflicts around the Iran Nuclear Deal; and comparative market conventions around LIBOR transition.
As a participant on the Bank of England’s LIBOR Transition Taskforce, Nicola has contributed to commentaries published by the Taskforce on behalf of the Bank of England’s Working Group on Sterling Risk-Free Rates. As a member of the Loan Market Association’s Documentation Committee, she was involved in the formative development of the LMA’s primary and secondary loan market documentation.