Paul has nearly three decades of experience in handling complex business litigation before the Commercial Court in London and English law international arbitrations anywhere in the world. He acts for a global client base.
Paul has an excellent reputation in the market both with clients and his peers. “Solicitor-advocate Paul Friedman acts for major corporates, financial institutions and private equity houses on litigation and arbitration. Peers commend his “very sound judgement” and strategic ability, considering him “a great tactician.” Chambers UK Guide 2015.
- Global investment banks
- Private equity house
- High net worth individuals and companies
All of these based in the UK, Europe, China, India, Japan, Israel, the United States and other areas
- Acting for a US based global investment bank in respect of claims arising out of complex financial markets derivatives transactions and a structured investment vehicle with USD 5 billion under management.
- Advising various funds, investors and corporate entities (based in the UK, Europe, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and elsewhere) in relation to terminations of derivatives transactions and collateral calls under ISDA Master Agreements in the context of international arbitrations pursuant to LCIA and ICC rules.
- Acting for a Japanese investment bank and separately a Japanese securities finance company in relation to the Lehman collapse.
- Advising a Japanese investment bank in relation to issues arising under cross currency swap agreements.
- Advising a major private equity house in relation to a dispute with a syndicate of lending banks regarding the terms of the applicable SFA and JFA.
- Acting for a Hong Kong based family owned group of companies in multi-jurisdictional litigation against a French public company in proceedings in London, with satellite litigation in Hong Kong, the British Virgin Islands and France. We subsequently advised regarding other issues arising.
- Representing a working group of major international banks and investment funds in relation to claims for hundreds of millions of dollars arising out of the restructuring of an emerging markets bank. Following the restructuring, injunctive relief was obtained from the courts of the restructured bank’s local jurisdiction preventing the working group from receiving a range of replacement securities as agreed under the restructuring.
- Acting for a Russian company in liquidation in the UK against various high net worth individuals and a related company on a claim for in excess of USD 2 billion in High Court litigation.
- Representing a US based multinational retailer and its UK subsidiary in disputes with UK banks and credit card companies arising out of a substantial credit card intrusion.
- Defending a global publishing house against substantial claims brought against it by one of its authors.
- Advising a multinational computer manufacturer and retailer in relation to claims by it against its insurers and related claims against a UK bank.
- Advising a high net worth Singapore based investor in a dispute with a global investment bank in relation to foreign exchange options, derivatives trades and bonds purchases.
- Representing a major UK bank in defending a claim against it by a US investment bank arising out of a distressed debt contract.
Previous Law Firms
- Quinn Emanuel: Partner, June 2016 – May 2017
- Clyde & Co: Partner, 2003-2016
- Baker & McKenzie: Partner, 1991-2003
- Clifford Chance: Associate, 1989-1991
- Solicitor 1991 (Law Society Reg No 151794)
- Solicitor Advocate, Higher Courts (Civil Proceedings) 25 September 2002
- Chancery Lane Law School (LSF, 1989)
- London School of Economics (LL.B., Honours, 1988)
- Yeshivat Kerem B’Yavne Israel 1984-1985
- Hasmonean High School for Boys, London 1979-1984
- SAR Academy Riverdale New York 1978-1979
- Carmel School, Pretoria, South Africa 1972-1978