Paul Friedman has an excellent reputation, and is described as "absolutely brilliant," a "formidable opponent" and a skillful writer.
Chambers UK Guide to the Legal Profession
Paul has three decades of experience in advising clients on how best to resolve disputes, including where necessary and unavoidable in handling complex business litigation before the Commercial Court and higher courts in London and via English law international arbitrations. He acts for a global client base and has always had an excellent reputation in the market both with clients and his peers.
- High net worth individuals and companies
- Global investment banks and Private equity houses
- Trustees and beneficiaries
- Acting for a US based global investment bank in respect of claims arising out of complex financial markets derivatives transactions and a structured investment vehicle with USD 5 billion under management.
- Advising various funds, investors and corporate entities (based in the UK, Europe, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and elsewhere) in relation to terminations of derivatives transactions and collateral calls under ISDA Master Agreements in the context of international arbitrations pursuant to LCIA and ICC rules.
- Acting for a Household name sovereign wealth fund in successfully recovering many hundreds of millions of dollars fraudulently misappropriated and secreted away in offshore jurisdictions and trusts
- Advising a major private equity house in relation to a dispute with a syndicate of lending banks regarding the terms of the applicable SFA and JFA.
- Acting for a Hong Kong based family owned group of companies in multi-jurisdictional litigation against a French public company in proceedings in London, with satellite litigation in Hong Kong, the British Virgin Islands and France. We subsequently advised regarding other issues arising.
- Representing a working group of major international banks and investment funds in relation to claims for hundreds of millions of dollars arising out of the restructuring of an emerging markets bank. Following the restructuring, injunctive relief was obtained from the courts of the restructured bank’s local jurisdiction preventing the working group from receiving a range of replacement securities as agreed under the restructuring.
- Acting for a Russian company in liquidation in the UK against various high net worth individuals and a related company on a claim for in excess of USD 2 billion in High Court litigation.
- Representing a US based multinational retailer and its UK subsidiary in disputes with UK banks and credit card companies arising out of a substantial credit card intrusion.
- Defending a global publishing house against substantial claims brought against it by one of its authors.
- Advising a multinational computer manufacturer and retailer in relation to claims by it against its insurers and related claims against a UK bank.
- Advising a high net worth Singapore based investor in a dispute with a global investment bank in relation to foreign exchange options, derivatives trades and bonds purchases.
- Representing a major UK bank in defending a claim against it by a US investment bank arising out of a distressed debt contract.
Previous Law Firms
- Quinn Emanuel: Partner
- Clyde & Co: Partner
- Baker & McKenzie: Partner (Associate initially)
- Clifford Chance: Associate
- Solicitor 1991 (Law Society Reg No 151794)
- Solicitor Advocate, Higher Courts (Civil Proceedings) 25 September 2002
- Chancery Lane Law School (LSF, 1989)
- London School of Economics (LL.B., Honours, 1988)