Rod is a leading Competition & Antitrust Partner with over thirty years’ experience in antitrust investigations and merger control. He is admitted to practice in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, and New Zealand and is recognised by both Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners as an expert in his field. Rod has extensive experience in the energy industry, as well as significant capabilities in other sectors including medical devices, pharmaceuticals, steel, meat processing, water, food, and beverage.
His work includes antitrust investigations, merger clearances, regulatory litigation, and sanctions. As former Global Co-Chair of Antitrust in a major US law firm, he has extensive experience in giving EU antitrust advice to US clients particularly in the oil and gas sector.
He currently advises on a range of topical issues including investment in strategic energy assets, the new UK National Security & Investment regime, increased sanctions regimes, horizontal co-ordination as a response to Covid-19, regulatory liability through joint ventures, the UK regulation of fracking, merger control in a variety of difficult jurisdictions and also FCPA and Bribery defence and compliance work.
- The defence of a parallel investigation by the European Commission and the US Department of Justice into commercial co-ordination in global herbicide markets.
- The defence for various clients of alleged horizontal price-fixing and market-sharing in the following markets: beef and sheep meat, veterinary medicines, oil and gas, agricultural film, street lighting, consumer footwear, food and drink, private property searches and gas transmission assets.
- The defence of an FCPA investigation into a global oil and gas service company in relation to Middle Eastern activities and a subsequent FCPA investigation of a separate US oil and gas service company in relation to African activities.
- A super-major oil and gas company on carbon capture proposals and a steam project.
- A major oil and gas carrier in relation to long term restrictions in vertical agreements for the sale of bunker fuel.
- A super-major oil and gas company in relation to the dawn raid response capability for UK operations.
- A US major oil and gas player in the acquisition of floating accommodation.
- A Norwegian company in the acquisition of a fixed platform drilling business of a close competitor.
- A Chinese multinational in relation to renewable energy assets in Europe.
- Successful action against all local authorities in England and Wales for breach of UK competition law.
- A major UK ports operator regarding the foreclosure effects of a 101 year long term take or pay contract.
- A UK industry body in relation to UK and EU sanctions against Russia and the impact upon deepwater drilling in North East Black Sea; also some Cuban and Iranian experience.
- Attended 13 dawn raids by US, EU and national competition authorities and has advised upon merger control in 44 cases in various jurisdictions.