Simon demonstrated an immediate appreciation of what was important to me as a client and provided an opinion and recommendation in which I had every confidence. He drew a clear distinction between what was possible and what was realistically achievable so that my decision process had a sound footing. All of the above and good value for money!
Partner, Poppleton & Appleby Northern
Whilst the need for his services was stressful I found Simon's approach to be helpful, professional and deliver results. His knowledge and expertise were delivered in plain and simple language. I have recommended Simon and his company to other businesses.
John P Trueman
CEO, Cannon Contractors
Simon provided me with the guidance and assurance such that I could work through the redundancy process of closing down the company with the knowledge that the process was fair, correct and legal, to the point that the distress on all of our employees, myself included, was reduced as much as possible through this difficult process.
He is efficient, responsive and outlines different options clearly and explores their implications. He listens to our needs.
His advice and guidance is always very measured and appropriate; he gives different alternatives and other routes.
He is always very responsive and helpful. He is detailed and thorough, which gives confidence that the advice is correct.
Chambers and Partners 2022
I do not know where to start thanking [Simon]. I know [he] went well beyond the call of duty on this matter in a considerate, calm and professional manner. In a world where people have little thoughts of kindness towards me [Simon has] been a shining light. His negotiation skills, in what was a challenging situation, were superb.
Simon was the calm in the storm I felt engulfed me at this time. He was honest, clear, flexible, friendly, supportive and all round I felt like he had my back and I wasn't alone. Simon was faultless in his professionalism, he was able to explain the complexities of my situation in a way I could understand whilst not being at all condescending. He was truthful about possible outcomes and at all times courteous and flexible.
Simon is a client-focussed and commercially driven Employment Partner, recognised in the Legal 500 and ranked in Chambers & Partners as a leading individual for Employment Law & HR. With over 18 years in practice as an Employment Lawyer, including 14 years at Partner level, Simon has a comprehensive and diverse background of good quality employment, management, and HR experience.
Simon advises on all aspects of Employment Law & HR related matters, including dismissals and terminations, discrimination laws, redundancies, employment contract disputes, disciplinary and grievance matters, organisational restructures and TUPE issues, whistleblowing, capability and performance issues, sickness absence management, and all other HR policies and procedures. He conducts Employment Tribunal proceedings on behalf of clients.
Simon advocates proactive, preventative management of employment and people-related issues in the workplace and has extensive experience of working in partnership with Employers in facilitating this approach. Simon also advises company directors, senior executives, HR Managers, and other senior and Board level individuals in respect of their own personal situations and circumstances.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, Simon acquired 12 years ‘blue-chip’ management experience in banking & financial services with a major FTSE 100 plc.
- Leisure, recreation and sport
- Professional services
- IT and technology
- Financial services
- Healthcare, social care & housing
- Government & regulatory bodies
- Emergency services
- Trusts & charities
- Trade unions
- Individuals at senior executive and director level
- Advising a large UK plc in the energy sector in relation to the employment aspects arising out of a £5.5 million share acquisition.
- Advising a South African marketing and media company in relation to opening new offices in London and relocating several of its senior employees.
- Advising a major US pharmaceuticals business in relation to various aspects of UK employment law.
- Advising a household name US company, operating in the construction technology sector, with a worldwide turnover of around $36,000 million, in relation to employment matters arising out of a large-scale acquisition and restructuring project in the UK.
- A four-month secondment overseas to a blue-chip client in Germany with an annual revenue of over €40,000 million and with approximately 80,000 group-wide employees, advising in relation to a Group restructuring of some of its UK operations.
- Advising a large UK company that provides oil and environmental services and industrial cleaning solutions, to its own blue-chip clients, public utilities, and other commercial businesses, in relation to the employment aspects of a £19 million share acquisition.
- Advising the UK arm of a large Swiss company that produces and distributes bananas and other produce on day-to-day aspects of HR and Employment Law.
- Advising various clients, including SMEs, private limited companies, charities, unincorporated bodies, through to large scale global corporations, across a number of sectors, on day-to-day HR and Employment Law matters, including within retail, construction, technology, professional services, logistics, financial services, sport, leisure, hospitality, insurance, education, manufacturing, healthcare, local authorities, unions, trusts, and charities.
- Achieving successful outcomes on behalf of a significant volume of clients in the conduct of Employment Tribunal proceedings.
Previous Law Firms
- Employment Partner, Flint Bishop, Derby (2020–22)
- Employment Partner, Capsticks Solicitors, Leeds (2019)
- Partner & Head of Employment, Taylor & Emmet, Sheffield (2018–19)
- Partner & Head of Employment, MKB Solicitors, Barnsley (2008–18)
- Employment Solicitor, Walker Morris, Leeds (2006–08)
- Employment Solicitor, Clarke Willmott, Southampton (2004–06)
- Solicitor/Trainee Solicitor/Paralegal, Howes Percival, Norwich (2001–04)
Other Positions / Appointments
- Governor & Chair of Remuneration Committee, Barnsley College (2014–20): rated by OFSTED as Outstanding during and throughout the appointment
- Council Member, Sheffield Chamber of Commerce (2018–19)
- Representation Council Member, Barnsley & Rotherham Chamber of Commerce (2016–18)
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Industrial Law Society
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Law (formerly College of Law, York)
- LLB (Hons) Bachelor of Laws, University of London
- BTEC National Certificate in Business & Finance, Wakefield District College: pass with distinction.
- Simon regularly writes, prepares, and delivers bespoke training courses for clients on all aspects of Employment Law & HR, including webinars, seminars, and face-to-face group or one on one training sessions.
- Simon regularly writes and publishes articles on developing and topical Employment Law issues.
- Simon has acted as a mentor to law students at the University of Law.
- Simon has participated in project work on behalf of the Legislative & Policy Committee of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA) considering and preparing the ELA’s response to various government consultation papers on topical and developing employment law matters.