“From the off he’s approachable, thorough and accessible. He takes the time to understand situations clearly and liaise with internal counsel. It’s very clear that he thinks long and hard about how to get the best outcome for clients – he’s not someone who just goes through the motions. His legal writing is noticeably less ambiguous than that of most lawyers. He deals with the salient points in a clear and concise way.”
Tom is listed as a "Patent Star" and a “Trade Mark Star” in the Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) IP Stars Handbook.
Intellectual property litigation and licensing in courts of England and Wales, with particular expertise in patent litigation but also broad experience in design rights, copyright and passing off.
Chinese intellectual property litigation, having spent three years in China as head of the Wragge Lawrence Graham office in Guangzhou.
Managing and co-ordinating multi-jurisdictional intellectual property litigation.
- Small to large corporate clients in all industries.
- Tom advised Dyson on its intellectual property litigation strategy for the three years he was in China.
- Tom worked, as an associate, on two cases which went to the House of Lords/Supreme Court (Conor v Angiotech and Eli Lilly v Human Genome Sciences), as well as the first patent case in the UK relating to genetically modified organisms, Monsanto v Cargill.
Previous Law Firms
- Partner, J A Kemp, London
- Chief Representative Officer/Director, Guangzhou/London, Wragge & Co/Gowling
- Associate, Intellectual Property, Howrey LLP
- Trainee then Associate, Intellectual Property, Taylor Wessing
- University of Bristol, Diploma in Intellectual Property Law
- University of Nottingham, Honours Degree in Genetics
- Tom sits on the Advisory Council for the Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London
- Tom is on the EU SME IPR Helpdesk Expert panel
- Tom has contributed to
- CIPA Journal
- China Intellectual Property
- IP World
- IPKat blog
- Patents in Europe
- World Intellectual Property Report
- Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst
- Bloomberg BNA
- Financier Worldwide
- Managing Intellectual Property
- Patent World