Experts bringing you the best possible outcome on costs
Commercial, innovative thinking for costs and funding litigation from world-leading experts
Control costs, and you control your future success. Our Costs and Funding Litigation experts have practised law in their field for over 10,000 hours. They are recognised as experts in their field with a long list of notable cases. You’ll be advised by an experienced lawyer at every stage of your case, who has a track record in successfully managing costs and funding cases to completion.
Part of our unique offering is clarity on fees, so we are able to manage the costs involved in your case while offering exceptional flexibility and planning over your fees with us. At a time when costs are more relevant than ever, we can offer you the peace of mind you need.
With a commercial mindset and pragmatic, straight-forward approach, our costs and funding partners are ready to work with you as long-term, trusted advisors.
Our work in Costs & Funding includes:
- Advice on complex retainers that increase client satisfaction and increase profitability
- Solving costs issues in proceedings, including security for costs, costs budgeting and costs assessment
- Buncefield Explosion Group Litigation. This was a 3-month liability trial involving over £1 billion of damages and costs claimed at over £100 million, one of the largest costs claims in English legal history. Appointed by Total (the paying party) for the day-to-day running of the Defendant’s costs claims, charged with reducing costs. Total saved was over £40 million in 2 years.
- Reid v Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust  EWHC B21. This was the first ever case in English legal history where a paying party was sanctioned for rejecting an offer of ADR. The case was swiftly followed Bristow -v- Princess Alexander Hospital NHS Trust  EWHC B22 (Costs) where the Court took exactly the same approach as in Reid. Advocated both cases.
- JN Dairies Ltd v Johal Dairies  EWHC 90211 (Costs). Another precedent-making case, this time involving Retrospective CFA’s and how the Court approaches the same.
- Stephen Fahy v Cape Plc PHW 1103817  SCCO. Advocate in this costs claim arising from a mesothelioma case. Another excellent outcome for the client, one of the only cases in legal history where the Claimant recovered a 100% success fee.
- Prodec v N2Check Ltd  EWHC 90215 (Costs). The Court found that £300,000 of costs was proportionate in a claim worth £15,000, due to the Defendant’s conduct. Represented the Claimant in this excellent outcome.
- Kai Surrey v Barnet & Chase Hospitals NHS Trust  EWCA 451. Leading Court of Appeal case involving transferring retainers.
Who have our Partners worked with?
- Duff & Phelps
- Mishcon de Reya
- Paul Hastings
- White & Case
- Allen & Overy
- Bird & Bird
- HNWs – Tory peers, traders etc.
- Collyer Bristow
- The Judge
- Annecto Legal
- Leigh Day
- Reynolds Porter Chamberlain
- Third Party Funders (various)
“I’ve been fortunate to work with Tom as both a client and a colleague over the last ten years. Throughout that time Tom has stood apart from other costs experts with his commerciality, innovation and original thinking. He is more than competent at the usual costs work, but really comes into his own around retainers and funding.”
– Mark Beaumont, Co-Founder, Annecto Legal Ltd
“Tom is extremely commercial in his thinking, allied to a deep and clinical understanding of the costs landscape. He marries tactical insight with in-depth costs knowledge. Highly impressive.”
– Richard Viegas, Partner – Head of Commercial Litigation, Collyer Bristow LLP
“Tom is an exceptionally commercial twenty-first-century costs lawyer, with Tier 1 expertise on retainers, budgets and advocacy. He’s a delight to work with and always goes out of his way to achieve the best result for his clients.”
– Lesley Graves, Managing Director, Citadel Law