Taking the reins when it comes to stable legal advice
Get in touch
For further advice please contact us for a consultation.
Our specialist Equestrian law team support individuals and businesses in the equine community across a range of day to day and specialist or one off commercial agreements and legal disputes.
The group comprises experts in Commercial Contracts, Dispute Resolution, Property and Agricultural law who are both personally involved in and passionate about the equestrian industry. We work alongside clients including professional riders and trainers, owners and syndicate managers, landowners, riding schools, event organisers, luxury brands, PR and marketing providers and governing bodies.
Our breadth of expertise can offer an all-encompassing legal service for clients, advising on general commercial agreements, regulatory work, and a range of disputes. From bloodstock purchases to syndicates for racehorses, sport horse acquisitions, embryo and young horse auctions, property acquisitions and disposals, employment and immigration advice, to mis-sold horses and land disputes; we provide clear, commercial advice backed by our personal understanding of the equine community.
Our work in Equestrian includes:
- Co-ownership and syndicate agreements for bloodstock and sport horses
- Sponsorship and brand ambassador agreements
- Event organiser agreements
- Business structure and commercial agreements
- Professional rider agreements
- Stud agreements
- Auction terms
- Employment contracts and related issues
- Yard agreements, including livery and training agreements
- Sale, lease and loan agreements
- Acquisition and disposal of equestrian and rural properties
- Lease and tenancy arrangements
- Advising in respect of rural and agricultural disputes
- Dispute resolution
- Buying and Selling
- Breach of Contract
- Professional Negligence, e g against vets, trainers, farriers etc
Notable matters our partners have worked on:
James Pheasant has successfully advised a number of equestrian clients in disputes with the FEI, including Jock Paget (NZ 5* eventer, winner of Badminton and Burghley), Christine Yeoman (GB endurance rider) and Saudi Olympic equestrian athletes; and regularly advises The Jockey Club on a range of disputes.
Russell Dellar has acted on numerous real estate, finance and contractual issues for fellow horse owners and racehorse trainers.
Justin Neal has acted on various country estates and equestrian properties, advising owners and potential buyers, and lenders. Justin believes a walk of the property can be invaluable and the discovery of ‘mixed or multiple dwelling use’ can give rise to SDLT savings, often missed.
- Assisted the Bailey family on locating a property and advising on the £3.3m acquisition of a significant Thames-side property — the client is a well-known amateur polo patron within the industry.
- Advised on the £640k acquisition of an equestrian property in Crediton Devon with an agricultural tie, with a complicated title and reservations in favour of the seller