A trusted advisor through challenging people matters
Litigation is never an enjoyable experience; however, sometimes it can not be avoided. If that is the case, it is important to have the reassurance of knowing that an experienced, robust and no-nonsense legal team has got your back.
Our team of Employment Tribunal experts has a wealth of experience of handling employment tribunal litigation, representing both employers and senior executives. We relish the challenge of complex, high-value and/or reputationally significant cases.
Our expertise enables us to provide our clients with an early view on prospects of success which, in turn, helps to inform an agreed strategy for managing the case. As the case progresses, having a clear strategy often keeps us one step ahead of the opposition, meaning that we offer our clients the reassurance of always being on the front foot.
However, we do not impose a strategy on our clients; rather, we listen to our clients and design the best strategy to help them achieve their goals.
Ultimately, we are pragmatic, being all too aware that the respective lawyers tend to be the only “winners” if a case proceeds to a full hearing. So, if our client agrees, we will take full advantage of the services of ACAS, judicial mediations and/or private mediations or settlement discussions to try to resolve claims. In this regard, we are tough negotiators and will always document any settlement in the most appropriate way to protect our client’s interests.
However, we also recognise that, sometimes, it is in our client’s best interests to fight a case all the way to a full hearing, in which case we are more than happy to go toe to toe with the opposition, however ‘big’ they may be. More often than not we instruct a barrister for the final hearing of the case. We have excellent relationships with all the leading counsel in London and the regions, which means that we have a vast range of expertise to call on when needed.
Common issues we solve for our clients:
- Discrimination claims
- Equal pay claims
- Whistleblowing claims
- Unfair dismissal and unfair constructive dismissal claims
- Wrongful dismissal claims
- Unlawful deduction from wages claims (including bonus claims)
- Holiday pay claims
- TUPE claims
- Collective redundancy claims
- Interim relief claims
Notable work we have undertaken
- Acted for Mr Ayodele Martin in relation to his £50k+ unfair dismissal and whistleblowing claims against his former employer, the Body of Evelina Hospital School in Southwark, in Mr A Martin v London Borough of Southwark and The Governing Body of Evelina Hospital School UKEAT 2301113/2020: a significant judgment, which has been refereed to by legal commentators, where the EAT clarified the approach that Tribunals should take to whistleblowing claims.