Navigating the complex world of Competition and Antitrust law.
Our specialist Competition & Antitrust team helps clients identify and deal with the risks associated with competition law, helping to avoid issues upfront and advising on investigations when they occur.
gunnercooke’s Competition & Antitrust team has over 30 years’ experience advising both corporate entities and individuals subject to investigations and has extensive experience of dealing with a wide range of investigating authorities.
We have defended investigations in the following sectors: energy, transport, steel, agriculture, aviation, food and drink, aggregates, pharmaceuticals and oil and gas.
We have successfully obtained merger clearance in many difficult jurisdictions, have experience of parallel investigations by the US Department of Justice and the European Commission, and have obtained national security clearance in the US for the acquisition of military assets.
The team has considerable expertise in advising US companies on the operation of antitrust law in the UK and the EU and has undertaken bespoke compliance audits for General Counsel.
In addition to this, the team has attended 13 dawn raids by US, EU and national competition authorities and have advised on merger control in 44 cases in various jurisdictions.
- A super-major oil and gas company on carbon capture proposals and a steam project.
- A transportation operator on long term restrictions in vertical agreements for the sale of bunker fuel.
- A super-major oil and gas company on dawn raid response capability for UK operations.
- Various parties on access to the Caister Murdoch System in the Southern North Sea.
- A major shipping company on allegations of the abuse of a dominant market position in the scheduling of slots available for competitors at ferry terminals.
- A successful challenge to the imposition of excessive charges at a UK shipping terminal.
- A leading private equity group in the acquisition of diving support vessels.
- A US oil and gas operator in the acquisition of floating accommodation.
- Merger clearance for the acquisition of the fixed platform drilling business.
- A major US supplier in merger clearance for the acquisition of a subsea flange business.
- A major UK ports business on merger clearance for the acquisition of several UK ports.
- Sanctions advice to a UK body regarding deepwater drilling in North East Black Sea; also some Cuban and Iranian experience.
Our Competition & Antitrust work includes:
- Investigations by the CMA and the EU into horizontal behaviour (between competitors) and the abuse of a dominant market position by individual companies.
- Strategic advice on the handling of such investigations including practical steps to preserve legal privilege and to deal with IT searches, employee issues and press enquiries.
- Consideration of applications for leniency (amnesty) and the prospect of civil actions for damages.
- Multi-jurisdictional merger filings and national security clearances for corporate transactions
- Antitrust litigation for claimants and defendants.
- Subsidy control issues where EU law clashes with UK law
- Compliance training and audits comprising face-to-face individual training for relevant commercial personnel.
- Advice on sanctions and support in investigations for breach of sanctions.