We make the right deals happen
Our Mergers & Acquisitions team help businesses become greater than the sum of their parts.
All businesses have many components. Good businesses have the right parts in the right places – but the most successful businesses are those where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. From the smallest owner-managed businesses through to the largest publicly-traded corporates, partnerships and entrepreneurs, gunnercooke lawyers have advised hundreds of businesses and their owners on business mergers, acquisitions and disposals.
Whether you’re seeking to add a complementary business to an existing one, whether you are looking to achieve scale or to diversify, or to remove a non-core business unit to achieve greater focus, gunnercooke lawyers have experience in helping our clients achieve those goals.
To provide the best service, our lawyers are there with you as you move from initial discussion, through due diligence and document negotiation, to execution and integration. By spending the time and effort to understand your needs, hopes and fears – and utilising that knowledge – we add value which will continue to benefit you long after the ink on the contract has dried.
All good M&A lawyers know what their clients’ priorities are. Only a few understand how to devote time and resources to how the client wants their deal to be done, rather than how they think the deal should be done. Whether the transaction involves the acquisition of individual business assets or the acquisition of a public company group by way of a takeover, we tailor our approach, take the time to understand your objectives and advise on delivering the deal you want.
Our work in Mergers & Acquisitions includes:
- Advising Dansk Supermarket Group in respect of the sale of the Netto UK discount grocery chain to Wal-Mart for £778 million
- Advising Northern Foods plc on the disposal of its speciality breads, cakes, chilled pastry and flour milling businesses to a French private equity house for £160 million
- Advising a major European retail and investment bank on disposals and restructurings of its private equity investments in various UK retailers and manufacturing companies and disposals of its holdings in private equity funds
- Advising a consortium of Kuwaiti investors on their equity and subordinated debt investment in a holding company formed to acquire a portfolio of student accommodation assets from administrators and funded using a c. £200 million bond listed on the Dublin Stock Exchange
- Advising Euro Media Group on the acquisition of Telegenic, a major player in the UK and European Outside Broadcasting Market
Who have our partners worked with?
- Cambridge Nanosystems Limited
- DCC Group plc
- ECI Partners
- Northern Foods plc
- MIDROC Pharmaceuticals
- Hargreaves plc
- Dunedin Capital Partners
- 3i Group plc
- MMC Ventures.
- Harwoods Limited
- Endless LLP
“We really appreciated Mark’s [Whittaker] professionalism and efficiency in dealing with our transaction. His expertise and responsiveness were second to none and we knew we were in a safe pair of hands. I would like to commend Mark and the rest of his team for an excellent job.”
“Nick [Gould] has been our legal advisor on most of our corporate and commercial law matters for many years now. He normally finds common sense and practical solutions to the numerous matters we throw at him.”
– Barry Johnstone, Managing Director, CTV Outside Broadcasts Limited
“Not only is Carol [Copland] an excellent all-round lawyer, but she also provides very strong and pragmatic business, strategic and management advice to her clients.”
– John Lazar CBE FREng, former CEO and Chairman, Metaswitch Networks
“We were introduced to Amanda [Allen] by a firm of accountants to help us on an acquisition and refinancing. She proved to be a proactive business adviser supporting and guiding us through the complexities of what was a significant transaction for the company.”
– Heather Penn, Founder and Director, SSE Audio Group Limited