Rosie wrote the book on fashion
Our experienced Fashion team delivers world-leading services across all areas of law that apply to this fast-paced industry
Fashion is big business. It’s a business that crosses continents, industries and specialities. It is embedded in intellectual property, but also in the practical and tangible realities of the creative and manufacturing industries. We know this world better than anyone. Our partners have over 10,000 hours of experience in this field before they join, so you know you’ll be working with the best.
Whether it’s filing strategy, franchising or portfolio management, we enable clients to develop, expand, exploit and enforce their intellectual property rights in the UK and around the world. In addition, members of our team have advised some of the world’s best-known brands on sensitive issues regarding property, employees and corporate development. We provide pragmatic, strategic and tailored advice to suit the needs and objectives of your business. Our team is focused on commercial success, and being your long-term trusted advisor is how we achieve it. Many of our lawyers have previously worked in-house, so they truly understand the commercial realities that affect businesses.
Every project is managed with equal care and focus. We take the time to understand you and your needs as we create the optimum strategy to ensure your long-term success.
- Future-proofing new ecommerce business models
- Responding to claims of trade mark infringement and malicious falsehood related to Google advertising
- Breach of confidence disputes relating to everything from setting up a rival company post-employment to copying material disclosed in pitch meetings such as clothing designs
- Assisting with major corporate transactions to ensure that businesses do not have any secrets hidden under the IP bonnet
- Using design rights to prevent sales of a distinctive dress by a major online retailer
- The development of retail business parks, including using private forward funding.
- The acquisition, letting and funding of large mix use developments including buildings with complex listed building issues and linked rail or other transport facilities, particularly in Manchester and London city centres
- Advising shopping centre investors on redevelopment schemes and management issues
- Advising on shareholders’ agreements and investments including in connection with luxury retail
- Advising on the sale of a high-street retailer’s multi-million pound subsidiaries.
- Bespoke supply of goods and services agreements for manufacturers and suppliers.
* Advising on the issues connected to sales agents and distribution arrangements in the UK and EU.
* Coordinating and advising on the preparation of standard terms of sale or supply, including for fashion and cosmetics businesses.
* Advising on the redevelopment of the former C&A flagship store in Oxford Street, London and successfully bringing a High Court claim against the freeholder for unreasonable refusal of licence to permit alterations and licence for change of use
* Using design rights to prevent sales of a distinctive dress by a major online retailer
- IP filing strategy: whether trade marks, designs, patents or (in some countries) copyright, we help you decide which rights to file, in what territories and when
- IP licensing: it’s important to get the right licences and licensing structure in place for your business – as you grow the optimum approach will also change so this should be regularly revisited
- Dispute resolution: find out more here
- IP audits: most businesses do not know what rights they hold or where the risk areas lie. An IP audit shines a light in these dark IP corners so you can plan for the future
- IP strategy: technology and social media mean that IP is in a constant state of flux. We help you manage your IP risks and maximise IP value
- Anti-counterfeiting: whether it’s online or in a physical marketplace, we work with Customs, investigators and online platforms to stop counterfeit goods in their tracks
- Sky UK
- GB3 Limited
- Busy Bees Nurseries
- The Plum Guide
- Colt Technology
- A major luxury fashion house
- A bastion of the modern High Street
- One of the major gaming companies
Rosie has written an award-winning book titled European Fashion Law – From Start up to Global Success (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019). Click here to find out more about the book.
“Rosie Burbidge is extremely capable and genuinely enthusiastic about intellectual property law. This gives her a passion and drive to provide the best advice in an area of the law which has complex outcomes loopholes and international intrigues.”
– Joe Adams, CFO, The Plum Guide
“I am always impressed by Rosie Burbridge’s enthusiasm in all matters regarding IP, and in particular fashion law, her responsiveness and her professionalism.”
– Legal 500 2022
“I always have a sense of comfort when Shilpen is handling a legal matter for me. He delivers a sensible, good value solution and I have recommended him to my colleagues and contacts a number of times.”
– Steve French, COO, Holland Cooper