A trusted advisor throughout any investigation, to minimise the disruption to your business
Get in touch
For further advice please contact us for a consultation.
Investigating authorities have extensive powers to search and scrutinise all aspects of a business, leading to significant disruption to its trading ability and reputation. At gunnercooke we have in-depth experience in advising corporates and individuals faced with criminal investigations.
Our Tax and Business Investigations team comprises industry experts who offer a bespoke service designed to give you the most accurate and results-orientated advice should you or your business be subject to an investigation. We’ll provide pragmatic support on all available options such as; discontinuing your case, staying your case before your trial as a result of an abuse of process, plea bargaining or achieving a not guilty verdict.
Our response to these situations is swift and thorough. We regularly advise on all aspects of an investigation and prosecution which could include dawn raids, search and seizure, restraint and freezing orders, arrest, interviews with HMRC, SFO and other prosecuting authorities, plea and trial. We also have expertise in the technical field of POCA Confiscation, third party and enforcement proceeds, civil recovery and cash forfeiture receivership proceedings in the Crown Court and High Court. These services require experienced lawyers with an in-depth knowledge due to their complex nature.
We act for clients who face a range of investigations such as missing trader, VAT/excise duty fraud by HMRC, property investment, money laundering, banking, financial/tax advisory services, and accounting. We regularly act for company directors, financial/tax advisors and accountants. We also advise on contentious indirect tax matters which often result in proceedings before the Tax Tribunal.
We work alongside the very best advisors in ancillary areas of expertise, to connect you with other professionals that will complement your defence team including; forensic accountants, tax advisors, expert Queen’s Counsel and senior barristers who are leaders in the field of business crime.
Common issues we solve for our clients
- Search Warrant – challenging of search and seizure warrant to the High Court.
- Investigation – responding to arrest or interview with Prosecuting Agencies, preparing a defence to allegations made of fraud.
- Restraint/Confiscation matters – dealing with unlocking assets that are restrained during investigation and enabling business/personal income to be unrestrained. Advising on all aspects of confiscation under POCA.
- HMRC investigation – VAT, excise duty, missing trader, tax evasion/fraud advice.
- Appeals to Tax Tribunal in respect of tax assessments and tax compliance