Experienced UK-based French lawyers
Senior team of lawyers delivering French legal advice on French real estate, Wills and probates and any cross-border, international commercial disputes and their resolution.
The French Desk at gunnercooke was formed by the partners Guillaume Barlet-Batada and Mathieu Doublet. Both French lawyers are bilingual and Mathieu also qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales after registering as an avocat with the Paris Bar (not currently practising there). Guillaume will be able to advise on non-contentious matters such as Wills and inheritance laws and any issues relating to French property law, whereas Mathieu will be able to advise on contentious matters such as cross-border enforcement issues, cross border debt recoveries, any commercial disputes (including worldwide freezing injunction). Their clients are from both within and outside the UK.
All members of the team have lived and worked both in France and in England and they possess naturally essential cross-cultural skills.
Instructions commonly carried out for our clients
Private individuals (non-contentious):
- Sale and purchase of various residential properties (including renovation projects and off-plan property) in France and overseas French territories
- Preparation and registration of French Wills and other estate planning measures regarding for French assets
- Any French probate matters
- Any ownership transfer of property arising out of divorce or separation
Private individuals (contentious) and Businesses:
- Carrying out instructions for French-speaking clients in connection with any commercial dispute within the jurisdiction of England and Wales
- Enforcing judgements or arbitral awards in France and the UK
- Freezing assets in both jurisdictions in aid of pending proceedings or securing the payment of a judgement debt whether in the jurisdiction of France or England and Wales
- Effecting service in the most efficient manner in the jurisdiction of France and England and Wales, with a view to conferring with certainty jurisdiction to the relevant Courts
- Advising British employers on any matters (whether contentious or not) arising out of French employment law, such as posting workers in France for instance
Notable matters our partners have worked on
- Successfully obtaining payment of a judgement debt due by a Parisian member of the Kuwaiti Royal Family under the threat of English committal proceedings
- Obtaining a worldwide freezing order against an ex Paris Saint Germain football player to secure the payment of French judgements debts
- Advising British TV broadcast companies in relation to posting workers for the Monaco Grand Prix, the Ryder Cup and F1 competitions in France
Who can we help?
- Private clients
- Solicitors and legal counsels
- Trusts and charities
- High Net Worth Individuals
- Corporate investors
- Company Directors
- Foreign States
- TV broadcast companies