Industry experts, protecting our clients from environmental liabilities
Developers and businesses don’t just require environmental legal advice; they need a trusted authority to guide them. Our team comprises regulatory experts, providing compliance advice for clients in the environmental industries.
Enforcement action, third-party claims and clean-up liabilities can arise from historic contamination, pollution events and asbestos exposure – all of which can be costly, time consuming and extremely stressful for a business. Our regulatory experts provide compliance advice for clients in the environment industries and support in any discussions with the Environment Agency, local authority and HSE. Our transactional environmental lawyers use their experience of the legal, technical and insurance issues to help our clients secure the commercial advantage.
You have the peace of mind that you’ll be advised by experienced industry experts, who can provide advice on environmental management and business strategy, forthcoming environmental law and policy, tactics for transactions and dealing with regulators.
Our work in Environment law includes:
- Advising on how to respond to regulatory investigations following a pollution spill or fire
- Negotiations with regulators on environmental permit applications
- Securing as clean a break as possible when exiting a contaminated site
- Advising on the applicability of environmental insurance coverage
- Regulatory requirements for a waste or renewable energy project
- Environmental support in corporate and property transactions
- Brownfield development projects and industrial site closure
- Environmental support and advice for businesses wishing to promote new or expand existing waste management or renewable energy projects
- Protecting clients when investigated by regulators
- Advice for landlords and tenants on asbestos management duties
- Nuisance claims for encroachment of Japanese knotweed
- Specialist commercial transactions in the waste and renewable energy sectors
- Pre-pack purchase of a waste business when the company is in administration
- Acting for US engineering company Wabtec on several transactions involving environmental permit, contaminated land and asbestos issues
- Acting for the operator of a substantial waste processing facility which faced revocation of its permit for breach of a condition which would have placed a stranglehold on the business. We successfully argued that the condition was unlawful and thus saved this multimillion-pound business from an existential threat
Who have our Partners worked with?
- Corporate businesses
- Waste management companies
- Minerals operators
- Renewable energy enterprises
- Utility companies
- Petrol forecourt operators
- Local authorities
“Michael gives us advice that is both incisive and pragmatic. Michael has, in our view, an unmatched attention to detail and provides us with clear and unambiguous advice, ensuring that we only take action when there are strong prospects of success and are fully aware of the possible downsides. The construction of his letters and arguments are the work of a maestro and we are delighted to have him on our side.”
– Chairman, CCL Compliance
“The ‘fantastic’ Keith Davidson maintains an excellent practice. One client enthuses: ‘He often thinks outside the box, is forward-looking and innovative and happy to explore novel solutions to what might be established ways of doing things’.”
– Band 1, Chambers UK Guide