Alexander is an experienced competition lawyer who has practised in Brussels and London. He advises companies on abuse of dominance and cartel investigations, merger control reviews, market studies, competition litigation, antitrust compliance, and sectoral regulation.
He has acted for companies in proceedings before the Competition and Markets Authority and sectoral regulators, the Competition Appeal Tribunal, the European Commission, the General Court of the European Union, and national agencies in several other jurisdictions. He is also called upon regularly to help companies engage with policymakers on law reform proposals.
Alexander has acted on ground-breaking antitrust cases and is recognised as an authority in the field. He co-authored a comprehensive textbook on UK competition law (‘UK Competition Regime: A Practitioner’s Guide’, published by Sweet & Maxwell in September 2021); was named a ‘future leader’ in Who’s Who Legal 2021; and was shortlisted as a ‘rising star’ of private practice at the British Legal Awards 2019.
He holds a BA in Jurisprudence from the University of Oxford and a Master’s degree in Law and Economics from the universities of Hamburg, Bologna, and Haifa. Alexander has published more than a dozen articles in leading law journals and has delivered talks at trade association meetings, competition law conferences and university seminars.
- Technology providers and digital platforms
- Financial services and payments companies
- International airlines
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Global manufacturers
- Companies operating in regulated sectors
- Entertainment and media companies
- Representing parties in the CMA’s market studies into digital advertising and mobile ecosystems
- Defending Merck in the CMA’s investigation into its blockbuster Remicade medication
- Acting for Google in the European Commission’s Android investigation and subsequent appeal to the General Court
- Advising Castle Water on merger control aspects of its acquisition of Affinity Water’s retail business
- Advising Tempur Sealy on merger control aspects of its acquisition of Dreams
- Representing a major international airline on merger control aspects of its minority investments
- Advising third parties in European Commission investigations in the financial services sector
- Acting for a complainant in Ofwat’s antitrust and regulatory investigations into Thames Water
- Advising digital service providers regarding the contemplated EU Digital Markets Act and UK measures for platforms with ‘strategic market status’
Previous Law firms
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP (Brussels & London)
- Herbert Smith Freehills LLP (London & Hong Kong)
- Board member and editorial writer, European Competition Law Review
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School
- European Master’s in Law and Economics, Distinction, awarded by University of Hamburg (LLM), University of Bologna (MA Economics), and University of Haifa (LLM)
- BA (Oxon) in Jurisprudence, First Class Honours, St Anne’s College
- Named as a ‘Future Leader’ in Who’s Who Legal – Competition 2021
- Two articles shortlisted for the 2020 Concurrences Antitrust Writing Awards
- Shortlisted, Rising Star — Private Practice, 2019 Legal Week British Legal Awards
- Ruth Deech Law Prize and Exhibition, St Anne’s College, University of Oxford
- Pro bono work including death row appeals to the African Court on Human and People’s Rights and assisting a charity, 28TooMany, with drafting a model law challenging female genital mutilation