Helen’s primary expertise is in Commercial Litigation, having practised for over 18 years in that field. Helen is extremely skilled in advising clients on complex contentious matters although her work takes her across all aspects of commercial litigation including contentious insolvency and contentious intellectual property.
With a wide experience of both bringing and defending high value contentious matters, encompassing all manner of business disputes, Helen has dealt with multi million pound breach of contract disputes, warranty claims, shareholder and partnership disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, product liability claims and applications of various natures for injunctive relief.
- The boards of large plc corporations
- In-house counsel
- Financial institutions
- Private individuals
- Codent Ltd v Lyson Ltd  EWCA Civ 1835,  2 Costs LR 185: Defending high value product liability claim with lengthy contested trials on both liability and quantum. Claim valued in the region of £1million. This resulted in a reported decision of the Court of Appeal in relation to the effect of a Defendant’s Part 36 offer.
- Mediterranean Shipping Company Limited v MSC Europe Limited (HC, 2009): Acting on behalf of international cruise company in bringing claim for trade mark infringement. Issues related to community trade marks and Article 111 defence under CTMR. An interim application on the first day of trial resulted in an appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- Successfully bringing a claim in the High Court against former directors and employees in connection with breaches of fiduciary duty, fraud and the making of a secret profit, coupled with defending Part 20 claims for misrepresentation against company and individual directors. The High Court found in favour of Helen’s clients after a seven day trial.
- Bringing multi million pound claim in partnership dispute which eventually settled the day before commencement of a seven day trial, after weeks of difficult and lengthy negotiations culminating in frenzied activity pre-trial.
- Defending a claim for breach of fiduciary duty brought against a former director and former employee of company as well as third party company. Claim valued in excess of £1million and settled following lengthy without prejudice negotiations.
- Acting for liquidators in connection with their investigations into the conduct of former directors/shadow directors of a company in liquidation and investigating possible fraud. Claim worth in excess of £1.2million.
- Breach of contract/warranty claim with potential injunction proceedings in New Zealand. Claim worth in excess of £2million but settlement reached.
Previous Law Firms
- Partner, Hill Dickinson LLP
- Manchester Metropolitan University (LLB Hons)
- College of Law, Chester
- Admitted as Solicitor (1996)