In the cases Alyson has been involved with we have found her advice to be technically correct, clear and commercial and this has helped us achieve successful outcomes either by settlement or obtaining the orders sough.
Alyson has always provided a good service, she takes ownership of instructions and has actioned them efficiently and in a timely manner. She worked closely with me on a complicated insolvency matter, in which she gained an order for possession and sale of the bankrupt’s property and examined him in court for 6 hours, obtaining information on undeclared assets.
Alyson is litigation solicitor, specialising in insolvency work. She qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2006. She was admitted as a Cayman attorney in 2012 (currently non-practicing) and became a licensed insolvency practitioner, having passed the JIEB exams, in November 2013. Prior to joining FTI Consulting as a director she held the role of in-house counsel at an offshore recovery and insolvency firm in Grand Cayman and prior to that, spent 5 years practicing as a solicitor specialising in Insolvency Litigation in the UK. She authored the insolvency chapter of Lexis Nexis: Fraud, Law, Practice and Procedure, has been a conference speaker on insolvency issues and has hosted several Business Development events on behalf of her firm. Examples of cases worked on:
- antecedent transactions court proceedings
- possession and sale proceedings for property in bankruptcy estate
- obtaining bankruptcy orders and winding up orders
- schemes of arrangement
- cross border recognition of insolvency proceedings
- misfeasance claims and recovery of unpaid dividends
- led court examination of non-co-operative bankrupt
- acted for directors placing company into administration
- involved in sale and purchase of business of companies in administration
- experienced in interim applications such as pre-action disclosure, summary judgment and directions
- she has also been a court appointed liquidator of a number of Cayman Island companies.
- Insolvency Practitioners
- Creditors seeking to recover debts/assets
- Directors seeking advice on defending claims
- Companies/directors seeking advice re insolvency issues
- Led a team of 9 in the liquidation of the SPhinX Group of companies. A complex liquidation involving 22 hedge fund companies with $500m AUM, significant issues of fraud and poor record keeping. Worked with stake-holders and London Counsel to negotiate, draft. promote and successfully implement a scheme of arrangement. Return to creditors is expected to be circa 80 – 90c in the $1.
- Acted as joint liquidator (together with Borelli Walsh ) of TYG Capital Fund, a Hong Kong Fund with issues of fraud
- Led proceedings in a multi-million dollar self-petitioned bankruptcy of 2 Cayman residents in conjunction an aggressively pursued yet disputed tax debt of $123m. Worked on various cross border issues including obtaining Chapter 15 recognition in NY, Belgium and Swiss proceedings and the sale of a company owned by the estate.
- Acted for insolvency practitioners in realising assets outside of the UK including Northern Cyprus, Australia, France and South Africa.
- Rectification of the members register and restitution claims: Powers of a Cayman Islands Liquidator IWIRC magazine
- Cayman Insolvency Glossary of Terms, Insol Magazine
- Authored the Insolvency chapter of Lexis Nexis: Fraud, Law, Practice and Procedure
Voted as City Wealth 200 top power women 2014 Link to City Wealth publication
Previous Law Firms
- Clarke Willmot LLP
- Harrison Clark
- Director, FTI Consulting
- In-house counsel, Krys Global
- JIEB, licensed insolveny practitioner
- Mediator, London School of Mediation
- Nottingham Law School
- University of Newcastle