Together we can do good, faster – we give charities the support and practical solutions they need to maximise their impact

Get in touch

For further advice please contact us for a consultation.

+44 (0)3330 143 401

It was Warren Buffett who said that we are in the top 1% of people in the World and it is our responsibility and our privilege to take care of the other 99%. We are the lucky ones. Somewhere along the way we have been lucky. That luck has got us to where we are. But now we have the opportunity to ignite someone else’s life, perhaps many lives.

How do we help charities?

At gunnercooke, we are proud to advise charities across the full range of corporate and commercial legal challenges that they may encounter – in addition to providing leadership, mentoring and guidance to charity leaders through our social business, the gunnercooke foundation.

Our charities team is led by lawyers who have spent many years as in-house counsel at some of the UK’s largest charitable organisations, which gives us an unrivalled understanding of the unique challenges that face this sector.   

We provide a full range of services to our charity clients including set up and formations, restructuring, mergers, governance issues, fundraising issues, exploiting assets, data privacy, grant-making and disputes.  We provide strategic advice and day to day advice alike.

Common issues we solve for our clients

  • Charity set ups and restructuring
  • Mergers
  • Governance
  • Data privacy and GDPR
  • Fundraising issues
  • General commercial support including commercial contracts and procurement

Notable matters our lawyers have worked on

  • Heading up a GDPR implementation for a medium sized international charity
  • Heading up a cross organisational multi-disciplinary team acquiring another charitable company which became part of the group structure
  • Acting as the collaboration governance and commercial lead on a major innovative technology/ built environment project, Cities Unlocked, with a charity, a global IT provider and a catapult organisation
  • Undertaking a major governance review leading to the introduction of a robust new governance model

Client testimonials

“Natalie’s combination of legal expertise, pragmatism and drive to get things done make her a very valuable asset to any organisation.  She is very personable, getting on well with, and gaining the respect of, all levels of an organisation.  She is highly adaptable, and can tackle a broad range of legal challenges with confidence.  She has an eye for detail, but never loses sight of the big picture. ”

  • Tim Lowth, Director of Finance, Guide Dogs


“The term ‘Trusted Advisor’ is often over-used, but in Natalie the programme had one; her ability to seek and find the appropriate middle grounds ensured the partnership was built in a mutually considered and respectful way, with a clear line back to ensuring the needs of the end-users were paramount and aligned with the business objectives of the programme.”

  • Jarnail Chudge, User Experience Architect for the Cities Unlocked Programme at Microsoft 

Key contacts

Sue Hall


Commercial Real Estate

Tim Heywood


Data Protection, Public law & Procurement

Brian Miller

Legal Counsel

Information Technology, Data Protection & Intellectual Property

Michele Price


Charity & Philanthropy

Reading room - insights

Go to Reading room >