Catriona has extensive and diverse experience in the areas of insolvency and general commercial litigation. In particular, her experience includes contentious insolvency, trusts disputes, corporate and financial services disputes, enforcement of judgments and general contractual disputes.
Catriona qualified as an Australian lawyer in 2006 and in the Cayman Islands in 2014 (currently non-practising). Catriona has worked as a commercial litigator in Australia and in the Cayman Islands.
Catriona is recognised for her ability to navigate complex legal disputes and provide strategic commercially focused advice, her attention to detail, her ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines and her research skills. Catriona is approachable and regarded for her excellent communication and client relationship skills.
- Funds and Fund Managers
- Local Government Departments
Examples of cases Catriona has worked on include representing:
- A creditor who filed winding up proceedings against a Cayman Islands company.
- The voluntary liquidators of a Cayman Islands company who applied to the Court for an order that the liquidation of the company continue under the supervision of the Court.
- A Cayman Islands fund who petitioned for a Court’s sanction of a scheme of arrangement.
- A Trustee in its application to make distributions to beneficiaries.
- Segregated portfolios in a dispute against a broker.
- A creditor and liquidation committee member in an application for the Court’s leave to issue a writ action against companies that had been wound up.
- A Trustee who was defending proceedings brought by an excluded beneficiary.
- A respondent to an infringement of copyright action.
Catriona has participated in all aspects of litigation including:
- Drafting pleadings and other court documents such as winding up petitions and supporting affidavits, witness statements and skeleton arguments.
- Researching questions of law and drafting written advice for the client setting out findings.
- Developing case strategy and participating in settlement negotiations.
- Managing document review projects and assisting the client with discovery responses.
- Day to day responsibility of managing files including corresponding with clients and opposing solicitors.
Previous Law Firms
- Ogier (Cayman Islands)
- Holding Redlich (Melbourne, Australia)
- Macpherson + Kelley (Melbourne, Australia)
- Bachelor of Laws, Monash University, Victoria Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Japanese), Monash University, Victoria Australia
- Masters of Commercial Law, University of Melbourne (currently studying)