“Chris has worked with our small team for some 15 years or more. During that period we have been involved in some fascinating transactions ranging from complicated land deals, major civil engineering contracts (we have the two tallest onshore wind turbines in the UK) and negotiating detailed planning agreements.
Chris has an exceptional eye for detail but combines that with being very aware of the commercial needs of his client. Importantly, he is also a great team player. A truly class act!”
Chief Executive, Arnold White Estates Limited
Chris has over 14 years’ experience specialising in non-contentious construction law and areas of residential property development. In particular, he has niche specialisms in:
- drafting and negotiating planning obligations
- drafting and negotiating land promotion agreements
- advising on the construction aspects of wind turbine projects.
On the construction law side, Chris’s general experience includes drafting and negotiating many main construction contracts, sub-contracts, professional appointments, novation agreements, collateral warranties / third party rights, performance bonds and parent company guarantees.
On the property development side, Chris’s general experience includes advising developer clients on high value, strategic redevelopment of large sites (including quarry sites) into predominantly residential use.
Chris also has much experience of presenting seminars on construction law and construction contracts to people in the construction industry and to members of industry bodies with a focus on making complex issues easier to understand. Chris also presents seminars on construction law to specific clients.
- Construction contractors and sub-contractors
- Professional consultants (architects, engineers etc.)
- Property owners, developers and promoters
- Advising a specialist American sub-contractor in relation to a bespoke sub-contract for the design and construction of four concrete domes required for the storage of biomass fuel as part of the construction of a biomass plant at a power station
- Drafting and negotiating the construction documentation for the supply and installation of wind turbines including the two highest on-shore wind turbines in England at the time
- Advising a developer in relation to the construction of three warehouse and distribution units at a site just off the M62
- Advising on the development of a new site for the relocation of a fruit market as part of a city-wide regeneration scheme and separately advising on a building contract as part of that regeneration scheme
- Acting on behalf of a charity for the construction of new buildings at a hospital, to house medical scanners
- Acting for a developer on the construction of 5 separate office buildings at a site on the outskirts of a city
- Advising a developer on the construction of eco-offices and a warehouse building at a site just off the M62
- Acting for a developer in relation to the construction of 9 industrial units with associated infrastructure at a site near a major city
- Providing general construction advice to national leisure industry clients
- Drafting and negotiating numerous land promotion agreements in relation to sites for residential development of between 250 and 2,000 dwellings
- Acting on behalf of a client in a rare hearing following an application by National Grid for a necessary wayleave to prevent the diversion of its electricity pylons following the termination of a wayleave agreement
- Drafting and negotiating highways, utilities and framework agreements under the Highways Act 1980 and Water Industry Act 1991
- Drafting and negotiating complex planning obligations (both section 106 agreements and unilateral undertakings at both planning application stage and at appeal) for numerous residential developments of between 1,200 and 1,500 dwellings and for mixed use developments
Previous Law Firms
- Gosschalks Solicitors
- Masons Solicitors (now Pinsent Masons)
- York College of Law
- The University of Leeds