Martin is great at getting things done. He gets to the heart of a real estate matter, and is renowned for sifting out the relevant issues. He has specialised in Commercial Real Estate transactions (including their structuring through partnerships and SPV’s) for more than twenty-eight years.
He is highly respected in his field and has dealt with acquisitions, disposals, investment portfolio purchases, disposals, support to M&A transactions, Landlord and tenant matters, property management transactions and the development and regeneration of land.
Martin has led teams involved in a number of high profile acquisitions, disposals and developments of both individual properties and portfolios of properties. His work for utilities and energy distributors has exposed him to the wide variety of work in which such companies are involved including the acquisition of power stations. He has written numerous articles and spoken regularly at conferences and seminars on a wide variety of Real Estate matters.
- Corporate occupiers
- Investment funds
- Public and private companies
- Public authorities
Public authority work
- Acting for a government department in connection with the redevelopment of four schools in Northern Ireland.
- Acting for Homes and Communities Agency in relation to its funding of the Development of Rochdale Town Centre.
- Acting for Cheshire Police Authority in connection with Cheshire Constabulary HQ Relocation.
- Leading the team dealing with the sale of the Tees Barrage, Middlesbrough.
- Leading the team dealing with the sale of Liverpool South Docks.
- Acting for Cheshire Police Authority in relation to the disposal of the former police HQ in Chester, the former Force Training Centre in Crewe and the former Scientific Support Unit in Neston.
- Advising The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea in connection with the redevelopment of a major school.
- Acting for the Governing Body of Henbury High School Macclesfield in relation to its relocation to the Macclesfield Learning Zone and subsequent conversion to Academy status.
Private sector work
- Acting for a utility company in connection with the development of an on shore gas treatment and storage plant, including dealing with pipeline easements, foreshore matters (including successfully dealing with claims from sub soil and mineral owners) and noise/nuisance claims from adjoining owners.
- Acting for the developer in the acquisition (by joint venture with a local and county authority) of a former RAF base for redevelopment, and on its on-going redevelopment.
- Acting for the developer in connection with the first NHS PFI project to be completed in the North West.
- Acting for a major pension fund in the acquisition of a distribution park in North Manchester for circa £75 million, and its subsequent disposal for £120 million plus.
- Acting for a major multiplex cinema operator in the acquisition of cinemas in London, Norwich, Huddersfield and Trafford Park.
- Acting for the vendor of a portfolio of 10 highly contaminated development sites.
- Acting for the developer on the acquisition of a site for the construction of a “student village”, including the subletting of the accommodation to an RSL, the commercial space to occupiers and the financing of the project.
- Leading the team acting on the review of title to one of the UK’s largest power stations and the acquisition of five other power stations, and a share in the site for the construction of a sixth.
- Leading the team dealing with a disposal programme of over 240 shops on behalf of a major high street retailer, including the setting up of reporting systems and the co-ordination of work by other firms of lawyers.
- Leading the team dealing with the disposal of two portfolios of redundant properties for a privatised utility comprising over 200 properties in total.
- Site assembly for new food store developments, industrial and student developments.
- Acting on the acquisition of sites for development for Student Accommodation
- Leading the team advising on the structuring, funding and acquisition of a major investment portfolio and all associated property management work, including lettings and individual disposals.
- Acting on behalf of a national developer of student accommodation in the acquisition, funding, development and sale of sites.
- Acquiring and letting to a national retailer a ‘super-shed’.
- Acquiring a site for a new Headquarter development and letting to a national retailer.
Previous Law Firms
- Partner DLA Piper (Manchester and Birmingham) and Head of DLA Piper’s National Regeneration Group
- Partner, Blyth Dutton, London.
- Manager, Legal Department, Alliance & Leicester Building Society
- Newcastle University (LLB 2:1)
- Chester College of Law