"Our firm has been working with Nick for the last 8 years. Operating in the ever-changing global digital entertainment industry, our need for an adaptable and analytical legal mind, is ever-present. We have found that in Nick.
He is always a pleasure to work with, diligent, responsive and we have always achieved the desired results in a cost-effective manner together. I’ve always been impressed by his ability to immediately grasp our situation, and his efficient way of formulating a strategy that represents both a win-win situation for us, and also importantly our partners.
Together, we have achieved unprecedented results, setting up complex global distribution agreements with major rights holders for new digital formats. We look forward to continue working with Nick."
“Nick has worked with Chalk & Blade since we were just two people in an industry that barely existed. He's supported us through negotiating our first contract with a major network, helped us to find our way through the world of international IP rights, and has always shown a keen interest in the growing podcast industry, and in how he can help our business to thrive. We trust him to think more broadly than the contract in front of him, as a real advisor to Chalk & Blade.”
Laura Sheeter and Ruth Barnes
Co-Founders, Chalk & Blade
“I have been delighted with the service I have received from Nick. He has provided me with superb, strategic, professional advice. Moreover, on a personal level, Nick has been extremely approachable and a pleasure to deal with. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Nick Berry and his team, leaders in their field.”
Founder, I Love Banksy Educational Workshops
“Nick Berry provided me with a fantastic service and is an extremely competent lawyer. He was attentive to my concerns and desires and was especially patient in explaining the things I could not understand. Sometimes it’s the employee working for the company that makes the client want to continue doing business with the company, and in this case it is Nick”
Nick Berry is a commercial and intellectual property lawyer at gunnercooke, with over 15 years’ experience in the fields of content rights management, monetisation and enforcement.
Nick has broad-based expertise deriving from his career in the entertainment industry prior to qualification. His clients include creative agencies, digital content/communication businesses, well known brands and seasoned entrepreneurs. His “hands-on” approach continues through his association with the Writers Guild of Great Britain, for whom he acts as general counsel.
Nick has specific expertise in the emerging fields of app development, podcasting and social media management. He takes a particular interest in helping small and start-up businesses scale up their activities, identifying and optimising the value of legal representation from the outset of each new relationship.
Nick also acts as a Trustee and Treasurer for The Special Recovery Trust and supports their ground breaking work ensuring the long term viability of Britain’s most critically endangered native species.
Nick specialises in advising both companies and individuals in relation to the following areas of law:
- Intellectual property rights, including copyright, trade marks, designs and rights in databases;
- Brand licensing & franchising;
- Content creation & acquisition;
- SEIS/EIS private investments;
- Sponsorship and merchandising;
- Drafting and advice on commercial contracts
- Advised developer of revolutionary new app oiid on global content acquisition and promotional strategy;
- Lead counsel advising on sale of Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival to Kilimanjaro Live;
- Advised start-up VR film production company on arrangements for securing SEIS funding and formulating arrangements between existing shareholders & non-executive board;
- Drafted commercial sponsor, concessionaire and supplier agreements for Swingers, London’s premier crazy golfing club
- 2019- present – Partner, gunnercooke LLP
- 2014-2019 – Senior Associate Solicitor, Cubism Law
- 2012-2014 – Trainee Solicitor, Cubism Law
- 2009-2012 – In-house counsel, CODA Agency
- Master of Arts, Magdalen College, University of Oxford
- Master of Science (Strategic Innovation Systems), University of Bath
- Graduate Diploma of Law, BPP School of Law
- General Counsel, the Writers Guild of Great Britain
- Immediate Past President, City Limits Speakers (Toastmasters International Accredited Speaking Club)
- Treasurer & Trustee, The Species Recovery Trust