“Thalis is the knowledgeable and supportive expert I trust and turn to when I need employment law advice. He is honest, open and supportive and provides sound advice at all times. I would thoroughly recommend him to anyone.”
Thalis has a niche in the claimant employment market, running some very high value cases and a test case attracting media interest from television and a broad spread of media. He has specialised in employment law for nearly 20 years. His clients describe his work as ‘Outstanding’
He is able to advise senior executives on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law including; exit packages, internal grievances and disciplinaries, litigating matters in the employment tribunal and civil courts, partnership agreements, management of employees on team moves, permanent health insurance, unfair dismissal, discrimination, harassment, whistleblowing, vicitmisation, post termination restrictive covenants, injunctive relief, contracts of employment and service agreements.
His roles have seen him lead teams, create new products and provide excellent client service.
Thalis’ practice also encompasses advising small to medium enterprises on contracts, staff manuals, retention and recruitment policies and termination agreements.
Who he works for:
He advises a variety of clients, in particular:
- Legal and financial services, including solicitors, traders, brokers, chief operating officers, chief financial officers, chief executive officers
- Wealth management
“Thalis did an outstanding job on helping me get the best possible settlement from my employer. I know my case was a complex one, involving multiple areas of law such as disciplinary, tax, indemnity, financial settlement, cross border issues, non - disclosure clauses and employer references. Thalis dealt with my case with the utmost professionalism throughout. I appreciated you working outside of normal working hours and the speed at which you resolved all the issues that I had. The settlement he achieved for me was nothing short of amazing and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to anyone who needs a specialist employment solicitor.”
“Thalis worked efficiently to ensure a quick turnaround, whilst not compromising on quality or detail. I know from over 30 years’ experience in the law that finding a lawyer who combines a fine understanding of their areas of expertise with a lightness of touch and is user - friendly is a rare and valuable thing indeed. He certainly filled that brief when advising us.”
“Dedicated Guidance, shrewd direction and outstanding no fuss clarity, on what needs to be done, a true art.”
“Thalis has been amazing. So supportive, kind and helpful. He went beyond the call of duty! I would have no hesitation in recommending him to others.”
“I really appreciated both Thalis’ advice and manner. It helps enormously to have an understanding and competent person advising at times of stress.”
“A couple of weeks ago I asked Thalis to talk to my son in law, who worked for a company for 15/18 years and is now 57. He had been informed that job losses were being considered – but he knew the signs at his age re – employment would be a problem. Thalis was brilliant, reviewing his paperwork, (&CV) and advising him how to proceed.
The end result is that he is keeping his job, at least for 2 years while his company make or break decision if they are staying in business.”
- Was instructed on include Perkin v St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust (Court of Appeal) which considered whether the manner of an employee’s defence in internal proceedings can affect his final damages
- Younis v Trans Global Projects Ltd (Employment Appeal Tribunal) which determined the status for a consultant in claiming rights in the Employment Tribunal.
- Advising on a partnership exit from a top 4 accountancy practice at a value of £1,500,000.
- Acted on behalf of a broker for one of the major brokerage institutions on a claim where he was being sued for £1,500,000.
- Acted on a secondment agreement to the US, with a value to the client in terms of income and salary at £2,000,000 over a one year fixed period with extensive claw back provisions.
- Advising a Chief Financial Officer on alleged conduct and performance issues raised against him and successfully avoiding any disciplinary sanctions being imposed on him.
- Advising a Chief Financial Officer on an exit package, including advising on the short term and long term incentive plans and tax issues on employment outside of the UK.
- Advising a Research Team on a successful team move from an investment bank.
- He has been instructed in sex discrimination claims against investment banks and have advised on “test” cases which have set legal precedents.
- Advised senior executives and finance directors on exit packages
Advised management employees on team moves.
- He has been instructed in the Employment Appeal Tribunal and the Court of Appeal
Represented clients in hearings ranging from 5 – 35 day discrimination and whistleblowing claims, some of which have attracted extensive media attention.
- Advising on an associative disability discrimination claim against a multi-national media company. This is now in the Employment Tribunal.
- Advised two brokers / bankers on an exit package within the background of FCA disciplinary issues.
- Advised various bankers on exits from a large investment bank.
- Advised banker on potential claim against large brokerage firm for sex and disability discrimination.
- Advised on prospective TUPE claims against a multi - national company.
- Obtained a successful outcome in the Employment Tribunal for breach of contract and with a successful costs order at in excess of £11,000.
- Advising on a failure to pay a retention bonus in the civil courts at in excess of £120,000 with insurance backed litigation support.
- Acted on claim for Permanent Health Insurance on behalf of a client and recovered £250,000 increasing the original offer by over 5 times.
- Acted on a settlement agreement at a value of £600,000 with multi - jurisdictional tax implications.
- Advises regularly on enforceability of restrictive covenants and strategy on obtaining waivers.
- Advised a team of researchers on a move from a major banking institution to another.
- Advised on an internal grievance against a major bank for a client who selected Thalis from four other lawyers and obtained in excess of £150,000 from a basic salary of £60,000 per annum.
Previous Law Firms:
- Hine Legal, London – Partner
- Slater & Gordon, London –Solicitor in the senior executive team, Employment Department
- Access Legal (Shoosmiths Solicitors) – Head of Employment Department
- Lyons Davidson Solicitors – Employment solicitor and Team Leader
- TV Edwards, London – Assistant Employment solicitor
- Goldwater & Co Solicitors – Trainee to Associate
- College of Law, London – Legal Practice Course / Professional Skills Course
- Southampton University – LLB Law
- Member of Employment Lawyers Association