“Emma was fantastic and I really enjoyed working with her. She was prompt at getting back to me, extremely thorough and always "on it". She always made time for us, regardless of what was going on. I believe she achieved an outcome for us that other lawyers would not have been able to and she didn't shy away from challenging situations.”
"From day 1 I knew Emma was on my side, I wasn’t just another fee.
She listened, hard. Her communication was always timely and thorough and she always operated with upmost integrity both with me, but also the retailer I had just exited.
Couple that with a clearly defined legal strategy she will deliver the best for you. She delivers the best because she cares, and she plans and she is absolutely determined to fight for what you deserve.
I first made contact with Emma as she had been recommended to me by an HR colleague at another of the big 4 retailers (having dealt with her from the other side), I was told that she was the best he had ever dealt with. It was the best piece of advice I have been given and would highly recommend her to anyone, at whatever level, who needs representation after being unfairly dismissed."
Emma brings a bright and engaging manner into her work. Her knowledge of the market place was first class and her approach was pragmatic, supportive and directional without being overbearing. I have no hesitation in recommending Emma again.
Director, Think Methodology Limited
Emma is known for her extensive expertise in employment law, having specialised in the area since qualifying in 1998. Since then Emma has worked in highly regarded private practice firms, in-house for Asda and started her own firm from scratch.
Emma’s passion for employment law is fuelled by her fascination with people. She regularly acts for senior executives as well as employers, always seeking to find pragmatic and commercial solutions to any given problem.
Emma often assumes the role of Investigating or Grievance Officer, leading enquiries into complex bullying, harassment and discrimination complaints for organisations.
Emma is also fluent in French and Spanish and sits on our Spanish Desk. She advises French companies who have a presence in the UK with any employment law issues they may face and also assists Spanish nationals who face problems at work in the UK.
Emma’s practice has expanded to cover the design and delivery of well-being programmes for clients and colleagues. She also maintains a particular interest in all aspects of mental health and its impact on the workplace, and has sat as a member of the steering group for Mindful Employer Leeds, (part of Leeds Mind).
Emma also incorporates as much pro bono work into her practice as possible, specialising in advising women who have suffered discrimination due to the menopause.
- Private Sector Employers (with a specialism in social care)
- Law firms
- Charities (applying a discounted charity rate)
- Senior Executives (especially in retail)
- Acting for Asda Stores Limited in a leading case on the payment of bonuses during maternity pay securing a dismissal of the appeal by the employee to the Court of Session (Hoyland -v- Asda Stores Limited).
- Securing 100% success rate of averting strike action whilst at Asda against the GMB.
- Acting (for several high profile organisations) as an Investigator and/or the Grievance Officer in complex internal grievances where bullying and harassment were alleged at a senior level and reporting to the Board within a tight time frame.
- In house award for commitment to education and training at Asda Stores Limited, 2003.
- Short listed in the “niche firm of the year” category for the Yorkshire Lawyer Awards 2013 whilst at Pharos Legal Limited
- Recognised in Chambers as an Associate to Watch whilst at Pharos Legal, 2014
Previous Law Firms
- Walker Morris LLP
- DAC Beachcroft LLP
- Pharos Legal Limited
- Genus Law Limited
- Asda Stores Limited, Senior in house Employment Solicitor
- Repton School
- Newcastle University
- The College of Law, York