Gary is a renewable energy and construction lawyer with a vast experience of procuring and delivering major projects (including off-shore wind farms, battery storage, CCGT facilities and commercial developments), as well as dispute resolution, for FTSE 100 companies.
He has a wealth of commercially focused legal experience having been seconded to major construction and infrastructure companies (including Jarvis plc and Metronet Rail) and working for many years for the commercial procurement team in-house for Centrica plc. As such, Gary is a strong commercial negotiator adding real value to deal making and has real insight into drafting for and managing commercial risk.
- Large energy plcs
- Renewable energy developers/contractors
- Construction and engineering companies
- Real Estate developers
- Procuring the largest UK battery storage facility (50MW) in Roosecote; advising tenderer on 200MW of battery storage facilities for Bord Gais, Eire;
- Procuring two 50MW fast-start reciprocating gas engine facilities in the UK;
- Offshore Wind – procuring the £1bn Lincs Wind Farm development including all construction, turbine supply, cabling, substation, jack-up vessel and marine spread contracts;
- Lead counsel on the 50% equity share sale of the Lincs Wind Farm (pre-construction) to Dong and Siemens and then assisting on the £500m project financing of the development;
- Procuring the £2bn Race Bank Wind Farm ready to construct and then assisting on the sale of the pre-construction development;
- Thermal Projects: negotiating £100m+ replanting of an existing power station for successful entry into the Capacity Market Mechanism; generally negotiating and procuring upgrades to existing gas and steam turbines; advising on legal aspects of over £300m of O&M agreements;
- Biomass – advising on potential Biomass acquisitions and associated plant, infrastructure and woodchip supply;
- Breadth of commercial/energy related experience including financing and security documentation, direct agreements, crossing agreements, power purchase agreements, IT agreements, consultancy and range of framework agreements and drafting precedent contracts.
Construction & Engineering
- Project solicitor to the King’s Cross Channel Tunnel Rail Link new Northern Ticket Hall (on secondment, having advised on the procurement of the project). A £1bn civil engineering development, building new tunnels, main ticket hall and escalators;
- Seconded to Jarvis plc’s headquarters reporting directly to the Group Commercial Director; dealing with a range of construction development, commercial and litigious matters for Jarvis Construction & Infrastructure;
- Seconded to Metronet Rail during the privatisation of London Underground to advise on a broad range of commercial, procurement, dispute, civils and rail matters;
- Advising developers on procuring the construction and consultancy contracts for key City and West End developments;
- In depth knowledge of a range of standard contracts including JCT, FIDIC, NEC, MF/1, LOGIC (oil & gas).
- Two £multimillion construction development cases (based on JCT) taken to the Court of Appeal;
- Managing out a CCGT EPC new build major defective pressure pipe issue leading up to takeover;
- Arbitration – Lead solicitor in a £multimillion complex 3 week Arbitration relating to the costs of remedying defects on an offshore wind farm including preliminary hearings and mediations;
- LNG – settling a £multimillion LNG dispute with 6 other shippers re an LNG terminal;
- Advising on a potential prosecution by Natural England;
- Extensive dispute resolution experience, including several high value mediations, arbitrations and adjudications.
Previous Law Firms
- Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
- Centrica plc (in-house)
- King’s College London, Master’s Degree – Construction Law & Arbitration
- City University London, Bachelor’s degree – Economics & Accountancy