Shilpen is a dispute resolution specialist with a 20-year track record of achieving successful outcomes in complex commercial disputes and contentious corporate matters in the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
He is known as a deft negotiator and trouble-shooter, advising on many contentious and sensitive business challenges for clients in a range of business sectors including media, technology, real estate, fashion and luxury brands, as well as financial and professional services. Shilpen seeks to resolve complex disputes persuasively, pragmatically and strategically to reach the best commercial outcome fast. This includes strong representation in court, at arbitration or, where appropriate, through mediation as an extremely effective alternative means of resolving disputes.
Shilpen is also known for his employment law expertise and advises employers, employees and others in workplace matters and actions in both the Employment Tribunal and High Court. He is a member of IR Global, the world’s largest exclusive network of advisory firms, where he is Employment Law Member for England. Shilpen is a committed advocate and driver for diversity and inclusion in the workplace and a pro bono supporter and Advisory Board member of Creative Equals.
Shilpen leads a dynamic, integrated team of lawyers so that all client instructions can be managed seamlessly. Both Henna Elahi and Sacha Sokhi are experienced dispute resolution solicitors. They have represented clients in the High Court, County Courts and Employment Tribunals as well as employing arbitration and mediation. The team works cohesively with a common ethos of delivering sensible, rational advice and dealing with all parties to achieve successful client outcomes as quickly as possible.
- Corporates, SME’s and owner-managed enterprises.
- Entrepreneurs & high net-worth individuals.
- Senior executives & company directors.
- Shareholders, LLP members and self-employed professionals.
- Pursuing claims for compensation on behalf of 12 ex-directors and victims of the HBoS Reading fraud scandal against one of Britain’s largest financial services groups.
- Acting for a corporate joint venture partner to secure high-value intellectual property assets against a global stock market index provider.
- Defending a shareholder and ex-business owner in proceedings for civil fraud and breaches of contract brought by a private equity investor.
- Acting in a high-profile dispute between property developers concerning the recovery of the client’s personal data and the scope of the data controller’s statutory obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Acting for an English company for breaches of contract against a military service and maintenance company in the United Arab Emirates.
- Pursuing a multimillion-pound breach of contract claim against an international newspaper for wrongful termination of a digital media joint venture.
- A claim by a fund manager against an investment management fund for accrued bonus payments paid into an employee benefit trust.
- Acting for the CEO of a technology company in respect of whistleblowing and unfair dismissal claims.
- Representing a high-profile tax specialist in a sensitive and highly contentious “team move” from a global business advisory to a direct competitor.
- Constructive unfair dismissal and race discrimination claim by a surveyor subjected to extreme anti-Semitic abuse by an international chain of private hospitals.
- Acting for a member and partner of a “top 10” accountancy and business advisory firm in relation to a contentious retirement scenario and claims of sex and disability discrimination.
- Providing day-to-day employment law advice to the senior management of major corporate clients, including the London arm of a multi-billion-dollar US private equity house and one of the world’s best recognised designer fashion brands.
Previous Law Firms
- DWFM Beckman, London – Partner
- Judge Sykes Frixou – Partner
- London School of Economics (1993 LLB)
- King’s College London (1995 LLM)
- The College of Law (1994)
- New York Bar Exam (2001)