What he's best at:
Shilpen has a dual practice focused on commercial dispute resolution and employment law. His expertise as a litigator is in high-value commercial dispute resolution and contentious corporate matters, often involving an international element. He has been involved in a number of reported cases and cross-border disputes. He is regarded by his clients as an astute “troubleshooter” and negotiator and is often consulted at the earliest stages of a dispute, tasked with securing a favorable outcome without recourse to litigation.
Shilpen also advises and represents employers, employees and professional clients in all aspects of employment law. He has particular expertise in acting for bankers, senior executives, self-employed professionals and company directors in connection with their entire employment needs, including claims in the Employment Tribunal and the High Court. Shilpen is a dedicated proponent of mediation as an alternative means of resolving disputes but also provides strong and effective representation in proceedings before the Courts and the Employment Tribunal, including obtaining emergency protection for clients through injunctive relief, where necessary.
Shilpen is also a member of IR Global, the world’s largest exclusive network of advisory firms, where he holds the position of Employment Law Member in England.
- A multimillion-pound breach of contract claim against an international newspaper for wrongful termination of a digital media joint venture.
- Defending a corporate investor in an action relating to the development of a European hotel project.
- A claim by a fund manager against an investment management fund for accrued bonus payments paid into an employee benefit trust.
- Acting for a corporate claimant in a multimillion dollar action against an ex-director in High Court proceedings in relation to breaches of fiduciary duty and other matters.
- Constructive unfair dismissal and race discrimination claim by a surveyor subjected to extreme anti-Semitic abuse by an international chain of private hospitals.
- Representing a high profile tax specialist in a sensitive and highly contentious “team move” to a direct competitor.
- Acting for a member and partner of a “top 10” accountancy and business advisory firm in relation to a contentious retirement scenario and claims of sex and disability discrimination.
- Providing personal day-to-day employment law and practical troubleshooting advice to the senior management of high profile corporate clients, including the London arm of a leading multi-billion dollar US private equity house and one of the world’s foremost and best recognised designer fashion brands.
Written by Shilpen:
Previous Law Firms:
- DWFM Beckman - Partner, Dispute Resolution & Employment
- Judge Sykes Frixou - Partner, Head of Employment
- London School of Economics (1993 LLB)
- King’s College London (1995 LLM)
- The College of Law (1994)
- New York Bar Exam (2001)