Rosie is the most practical and straight forward lawyer in process/advice/billing I have ever met across any legal discipline - enjoy!
CFO, Plum Guide
Rosie Burbidge is an English qualified lawyer specialising in intellectual property. Her legal career began at Olswang in 2008 and she has worked for IP rich businesses ever since.
Rosie helps clients to obtain and protect their intellectual property rights, particularly trade marks and designs.
Rosie was named a trailblazer among WIPR’s Influential Women in IP 2019, one of only 20 global rising stars in the industry.
Rosie is excellent at developing IP strategy. She combines a detailed knowledge of the law with a clear appreciation of the practical consequences and steps that can be taken to mitigate risk.
Whether it is managing a trade mark portfolio or suing an infringer, Rosie will identify the optimum strategy to suit her client’s needs, timeline and appetite for risk. She gives clear, practical and pragmatic advice.
Rosie specialises in advising companies across the following sectors:
- Fashion and retail;
- Publishing and education.
Rosie has worked on a variety of high profile IP disputes including:
- Unregistered design right – Superdry v Abercrombie & Fitch
- Trade marks – Fenix v Sameh
- Passing off – Superdry v SRG
- Copyright and confidential information – Bebe Clothing v Primark
- Patents – Philips v Nintendo
- Format rights – Banner Universal v Shine Endemol
She has also managed various anti-counterfeiting initiatives in both the digital and physical marketplaces for a variety of popular fashion brands.
- European Fashion Law – From Start up to Global Success (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019). Click here to find out more about the book.
- The Blockchain is in Fashion – The Trademark Reporter (2017)
- Can a domain name combined with third-party adverts generated by Google AdSense result in a successful trade mark infringement claim? – Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice (2017)
- Protecting product get-up via passing off: an IPEC update – Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice (2017)
- H&M sued for infringing bra patent – The Fashion Law (2015)
- IP in China – a guide for Ukie members (2014)
- Copyright Litigation in the Patents County Court – In House Lawyer Magazine (2013)
- Copyright, Licensing and Enforcement: A Way Forward in the Digital Age – Intellectual Property Magazine (2012)
- Protecting creativity: new small claims track for IP cases – The Guardian (2012)
- Protecting your Brand in the Social Media Environment – World Trademark (2012)
- Rosie’s blogs include the issues surrounding virtual reality, social media, computer games, 3D printing, copyright reform, Chinese intellectual property law and blockchain technology.
Film & Radio:
- Rosie has made regular appearances on Monocle Radio to discuss issues such as patent licences and Anish Kapoor and the impact of European copyright changes. Rosie has also been interviewed by Wolters Kluwer about virtual reality and IP.
Previous Law Firms
- Fox Williams (2015-18)
- Rouse (2011-15)
- Olswang (2008-11)
- Richemont (secondment in December 2014)
- eBay (secondment March-August 2009)
- University of Oxford (2010-11)
- The College of Law (2006-7)
- Nottingham Law School (2005-6)
- University of Nottingham (2002-05)